One thing that really works...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by chiaroscura, Aug 8, 2016.

1. chiaroscura

chiaroscura BestTimePlantTree?100 YearsAgo. NextBestTime?Now. SF Supporter

This post is meant for the no self-harm forum. Please help me move it there if it lands elsewhere! For self harm, we all know that snapping a rubber band on your wrist hurts like crap, and feels like cutting. But here is an action I haven't seen. Like the rubber band, it hurts a LOT, but does ZERO damage to you, and also gives you time to calm down. Find a hard floor, like wood or linoleum (not carpet or rug). Pour a bunch of dry rice around in a big circle on the floor so that most of the circle area is covered with uncooked rice. Not too many empty spots. Now kneel so that your knees are on the rice. I can't do it for more than a few seconds, so it's a lot like rubber band. Quick ouch and definitely puts your mind in focus on the knees, as cutting focuses but is never okay. Some people can do this for a long time. If you can, use the time to feel how your knees feel and then think out all the things you are angry at, upset by. The knee pain purges the anger, but does NOT injure you whatsoever. It just hurts like the rubber bands only it feels like a hundred rubber band snaps at once. PLEASE IF THIS POST IS INAPPROPRIATE, PLEASE SOMEONE REMOVE IT OR WRITE TO ME. I'M NEW, and I thought carefully before giving this idea (which works really well at chanelling out hatred and anger because you have a little time to think). BUT GOD FORBID I WROTE SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T HAVE. PLEASE DELETE IF SO! I hope, otherwise, this idea helps.

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Hmm I have never thought to try that. I often use ice.

chiaroscura likes this.
  3. chiaroscura

If you try it just for a quick test, with just a few grains of rice on a hard floor, tell me how many seconds you could stand it. No one would believe how much it hurts without trying it. Seems like knees arent sensitive so why would this hurt. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a surprise! I will go read about your ice. Just the thought of ice makes me start aching. :) Ice and rice=something nice. A poem! Yay!

4. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I have also heard of kneeling down on a broomstick being effective.

chiaroscura likes this.
  5. chiaroscura

lightning05, are you joking around or are you serious? I guess I could find a broom and try it and see if you're being funny or serious. :)

6. chiaroscura

Here's a great one, too: Sprinkle your whole living room rug (gotta be a rug--it's too dramatic and could be slippery on non-rug floor) with pieces of LEGOs and walk around barefooted. Talk about OW! I'm not joking. This will not hurt you unless you trip so maybe do it while keeping crutches on, so you don't trip. Well, that might be overkill. Well, just walk slowly and carefully and do not trip. You won't have any permanent hurts, ever--just pressure on your soles of your feet, but stepping on them ON CARPET ONLY, will give you release, if that's how you get it.

7. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I'm being serious.

chiaroscura likes this.
  8. chiaroscura

Thanx, lightning05. Good to know, since there is no harm done. I'd never heard of that one. Isn't it odd how sensitive knees are? Thanx again.

9. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I like this idea! I wish I knew this back in high school

chiaroscura likes this.
  10. chiaroscura

pancake, I love your post, and even more your comments at the signature area. I hope you don't mind, I clicked follow. :)