One third of teenage girls are in/had a abusive relationship

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Anime-Zodiac, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

BBC News UK Article on a survey about primarily teenage girls being in abusive relationships. There is a very short sentence/paragraph about teenage guys to. This survey only accounts for the UK.
  2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

The survey itself is nowhere to be found, it hasn't even been put up on the NSPCC website but somehow everyone seems to know its contents. One website even put up a direct link to the survey that turns out to be a dead end.

Using phrases like "had been pressured" is good way for them to manipulate the perceptions of their readers. Using their terms, I could easily say that I have been sexually abused, since I have "been pressured" to engage in sexual activity when I had little or no interest in doing so. None of the tabloids like you to know too much about these kinds of surveys else you might come away with a less hyperbolic conclusion than they'd like you to.
  3. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

To add to what JohnADreams said, data obtained through any sort of social surveys is questionable. Sex related surveys notoriously err in accuracy, as there is not the slightest motivation to be honest. Subjects are randomly chosen and given an option to decide whether or not they choose to participate. Oddly, there's rarely a "no answer" percentage recorded anywhere.

I hate to be a cynic, but...seriously? How do we validate the claim?
    I'm sure you know the saying (at least a variation of it): 79.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.