Online Activities

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaos General, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

So once again a member has lied through their teeth and made shit up just to feel important on a site full of people who have been lied to IRL. So i felt compelled to make this thread.

When you have been chatting to someone for a varying amount of time online, ask yourself this, how well do you actually know this person? Think of this, i could quite easily come on here and make a profile on here, facebook, msn, myspace and pretty much anywhere i wanted and i could claim to be a 16 year old female with blonde hair, blue eyes, big....smile and none of you would be any the wiser. How would you know?

Before handing over personal information about yourself online to someone you have never met and in all reality probably will never meet ask yourself why should i trust this person? After all, how do you know they are telling you the truth about things they claimed to have happened to them or whatever they are telling you? Thats also goes for handing over information like your MSN, facebook and whatever else you use.

Hell, i'm not saying dont trust anyone online, im saying do exactly the same as you would do IRL, just because someone might seem genuine doesnt make it so, and online, thats even harder to detect, so for the love of god be careful when handing out your info to anonymous people on here, this goes two-fold for anyone under the age of 18.

2. Kaos General

Enough sensible advice from me, im gonna go back to bed :D

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

This is so important. I'm glad you posted a cautionary message. :)

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

well said Wayne...great advice. :)

5. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Totally agree good advice wayne :)

6. Kaos General

I suddenly felt like a wise old man, now i just feel like crap :lol!:

7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

You did good..:hugtackles:

8. Kaos General

Nah its practical advice on keeping safe. People assume that because they are 'anonymous' on the internet, they assume they are safe.

Wrong. Now then this is where im going to get scary, and a lot of people might get scared at this next bit, but some people really really need to read this and take note.

Ok, how many of you in your profile have ymail and msn addresses their? For some of you that might not be your main email address and you might think thats all good. Now then, im going to demonstrate what my point is. I joined this site with a email address i rarely used at the time, it was morgan_uk_uk_uk@hotmail.co.uk. My main email at that time was morgan_uk_uk@yahoo.com. Do people begin to see the problem yet? My main email address was more or less exactly the same as the one i rarely used, it just had a different email provider at the end of it. But thats not the scary bit. Not many people realise that with just a simple email address i can find everything about you simply by typing it into google. If your on facebook then i can find you on their as well. Not your main email? Not a problem, using the above i can just change the email provider from say hotmail to gmail. 9 times out of 10 it will work. Believe me i am far from the only person who can do this.

Thats is far from the scariest thing. How many of you use your username as your password from another site? Remember, now someone has googled you email address they can now see every site and forum you have visited. They now have ample ammunition for passwords. Oh but it gets better people, anyone who has ever visited somewhere and had to provide their address, they can now access your emails, but if that doesnt work and you have your secret question turned on instead, thats ok, they now have you on facebook, they can take their time to get to know you, find out the answer, kiss goodbye to email account, shortly followed by facebook and whatever other forum you use.

So now you know how incredibly easy it is to ruin your life online, so for the love of god do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
  9. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
    off to google my email address now..

10. Kaos General

Thats just the easiest way of checking exactly how secure you really are online.

11. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I've just googled my email address and it's true it brought up websites i've provided my address to, that is scary.

12. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

wow thanks for the info

13. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

And most importantly, do not meet anyone you do not know alone; do not go to his/her house, go out to a bar and drink too much and leave with him/her, exchange questionable photos or information...AND if any one knows of an adult courting a minor on SF (we cannot control any other website), report it immediately...we do all we can to assess what actually has occurred, and take the fullest actions we are able to take...J

14. Kaos General

Kinda mirroring sadeyes, if you dont feel your able to get in touch with the staff as i know many people dont for varying reasons, just get hold of a member on here that you trust to do it on your behalf.

I also think its beneficial to note this. A minor in the US is classed as anyone under the age of 18, a minor in the UK is anyone under the age of 16. When this site started i think im right in saying the server was based in the UK so had to conform to UK law. However, now i think im right in saying the server is based in the US, therefore it is now 18. And because of that fact, you are now subject to the law in that country. Sure it maybe hard to convict someone from the UK for this but it means you can get banned from here and reported to the police.

To be honest, if i was young again id never meet anyone from the internet unless their was a minimum of at least 3-4 people no matter how 'hard' you think you are.

15. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Wouldnt know me then would you lol

16. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

18's an appriopriate age. Imin the uk but too many 16 year olds are "hard" on the outside, but inside? Just as much a young adult, kid asanyone else. No offense. Many teens will hate me for that, but yeah.
    The problem with depressive, "emotional" open expressive forums and chats is, this information is private. In reality,outside, most would be hard pressed to share it. And alot of the stuff posted here is emotional, which imo makes it easy for people to relate and create "trusting" relationships. You share a fragile hurting part of yourself in a post, someone responds and you feel "comfortable" with that topic, usually that comfortability spreads alot quicker if you continue a relationship further.
    Ill keep writing. Just, emphasising angerfist. Becareful with who you are. With the trail of information from here to anywhere else, with whom you trust and how deep you let them in.

17. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Nothing comes up when I put any of my email addresses into Google - at least not anything to do with me. It just comes up with a bunch of lyrics to a song and gives me the "Did you mean.." crapola.