Online dating

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asvt, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

Has anyone here tried online dating and had any success or failures with it what was your experience as i am kind of curious.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Why is this in the suicide forum?
  3. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

Maybe move this to...i dunno :laugh:

Never tried it myself but I've heard mixed things about it
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Be prepared for a lot of bullshit, perverts and if you're lucky one or two new friends.
  5. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

Sorry i'm used to posting in this section as i always seem to have problems posted here by mistake.
  6. whybother?

whybother? Well-Known Member

i had a 3 year relationship with sum1 online, yea u meet interestin ppl online but my god its a pain in the arse if they live so far away, id suggest not doing it, ive been thru it, and its not nice :(
  7. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

Ive met a couple of weirdo's online and my partner i am currently with i met online and we have been together 3 years i think its just hit and miss really!!!
  8. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

My first marriage was to a guy I originally met online, and, boy, was THAT a mistake. The temptation is too much for some people to resist exagerating to make themselves seem better than they are, plus it's hard to get a real sense for someone over the 'net. There are some good stories about online dating, but there are a lot of bad ones for every good one.

If you try online dating, make sure you meet the person within a reasonable amount of time after beginning contact so that you don't invest a lot of emotional energy into someone who may not be what they seem, and meet them safely. Have your first meeting is somewhere where there are a lot of people around and take steps to protect any personal information you might not want them to have just yet. If possible, bring friends for a double date or something, that way if your date is a little creepy, you're not alone. It might sound kind of paranoid, but trust me, it's better to be safe than end up in a bad situation. /end spiel
  9. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, i was just wondering are there any specific online dating sites for people with depression or other types of mental health problems it would make the whole online dating thing a lot easier.
  10. Hazibell

Hazibell Well-Known Member

plus you never truly know who people are...even if you think you do.
  11. BrokenPieces

BrokenPieces Well-Known Member

i have tried it.

Its hard to tell who you are talking too, and if they are honest about themselves.

Mind you, you should becareful with it.

But i have made some good friends from online dating, and had some not work out as well.

I wish you luck

12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

It's precarious as best. I've been at this game since '98,

Ayup -- and mind where you are SF, who the other is or might be, and my God if there's lesson we've all just learned on here, don't miss my topic about stalking loons.

Keep in mind that the Internet portrary just a small sliver of the person whom you think (and imagine) you're courting. Dream all you want, but man they could be anybody, with any and all traits.

Last be careful of long-distance Internet relationships. The VAST majority wind up failing, and even with a paid, high-priced dating service (eHarmony, others), you really need to have your wits about you and "people issues" long resolved.

13. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Made me LOL!

Ooh.... i dunno asvt. :nono: Pairing two ppl with mental issues.... I'd think more about that.

14. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

Yeah i know but i figured you could have more of a connection to someone who really understands depression as opposed to someone who doesn't know and thinks depression is just attention seeking or something. The word depression is so misunderstood by many and has competely lost it's meaning. Thats why i think two people who understand it would be more suited to each other.
  15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Asvt I see what you're saying but think how difficult it is to find a match between two healthy people alone. Now consider the variables multiplied when you pair two mentally unstable people. (Instability here meaning that a depressed partner may experience remission while the other, who knows.)

Remission in one and no remission or fluctuation in the other... I was just thinking you have to consider all that along with mood swings and personality differences.

Easier - I don't think it'd be easier, no. But what the hell. Google it i guess. lol :smile:

16. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

From experience, no. I thought I was in love with this girl I was chatting to online for a year but she had lied to me all along about the way she felt. You can never really tell whether or not the person on the other end is genuine because there's no face to face contact. You can't see or hear them or quite possibly know what they're thinking. I'm not speaking for everyone though. For some people it actually does work out and some people have even married the person they met online. It's different for different people. But from what I've seen, more often than not it ends in tears.
  17. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Never tried it. Too dangerous to put intimate relationship level emotion into online forum. I'm candid about who I am online because I don't like the internet, my stolen identity would result in at most 50 pounds worth of merchandise.
  18. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Indeed. Beware The Stalker, a genuine loon personality type who I have learned was planning to do background-searches and used every conceivable tool known to her to get into private life including scouring Facebook, MySpace, and god alone knows whatever other social-networking sites.

Lessons of violation you don't forget easily.

19. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Hmm, i've not tried online dating in the sense of proper websites for online dating, ya know, like and stuff. But i have dated people i've met off the internet, here, myspace. They've not lasted years, but we've had fun and most of them have stayed on to become good friends of mine.
  20. BrokenPieces

BrokenPieces Well-Known Member

But someone who takes the time to understand you and where you are coming from, is gonna be that someone, who isnt going to think that your seeking attention.

Someone who may feel the same way or understand you could be suited, but i think its a troubled relationship waiting to happen. They may understand depression your thoughts and feelings, but they may not like it talk about it, or they could start to feel jealous of you when you are happy.

i think its best to try and find someone who is willing to take the time to understand where you are coming from, and who wants to be apart of helping you in your journey to fighting your depression, that is gonna be that someone who is going to be there through thick and thin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.