Online & Internet Monitoring by the Government

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Crue-K, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

This consultation paper has just been published which highlights the Government's plan to press ahead with more anti-privacy legislation. In particular the monitoring and storing of phone calls, emails and internet usage to be made available in assisting the police. I personally think this is totally over the top and a further erosion of our civil liberties, anyone think different?

Protecting the Public in a Changing Communications Environment

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I can't read the article, because for some stupid reason, my computer has decided not to let me. But from what you've said, it sounds like WAY too much.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Just one more step towards a one world government.
    Sickening how people surrender freedom for "security."

(I never know if the quotations on a word like that come after the period or before :dunno:)

4. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Yikes, that's really weird. Could easily snowball. Governments are usually clever enough (read: people are usually dumb enough to allow it) to employ things so gradually that most dismiss it; then they justify it with "security reasons." Cute.

I'm sure I sound paranoid, but jeez. Suspicion's warranted sometimes.

---------
    Oh, and, iloveyou:

"(I never know if the quotations on a word like that come after the period or before)"

The punctuation (namely here, commas and periods; semicolons and colons always go outside, and exclamation points and question marks are iffy) goes inside the quotes, if you're American. It seems illogical when the word's not a piece of dialogue, but it's the case. (A lot of American things are illogical, like double cheeseburgers.)

Pretty sure it's different for the UKers among us. Not sure why there's a discrepancy there, but there is.

To be honest, as long as you're consistent either way, no one's gonna care except maybe an English teacher.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I didn't read the document but I know of this subject.
    This makes me think of the film "V for Vendetta"