Only the good die young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
What with the passing of a friend from work this week, it's kind of got me thinking. Just as the title says, the good die young and yet from what I've observed over the years, the bad live on. Maybe it's some kind of bastard mentality that helps them to linger despite whatever obstacles they may face. Perhaps that resilience could even be down to an inner desire to live on so that they can continue to be a total bastard to as many people as possible. At times one may wonder that those that are good natured carry their obliging tendencies to the point where they are prepared to step aside and allow someone else to take their place on this planet, thinking "oh well, there you go no point in making a fuss."

So I guess in order to be resilient, one needs to possess that bit of feral about them.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I think the good die young because they feel guilt and shame. I think they want what is best for everyone else and quite often blame themselves for others sorrows. Good people feel too much
Yeah, it seems in one respect having empathy and a conscience can be a fatal mistake. Perhaps one way to longevity could be self obsession?

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
What with the passing of a friend from work this week, it's kind of got me thinking. Just as the title says, the good die young and yet from what I've observed over the years, the bad live on. Maybe it's some kind of bastard mentality that helps them to linger despite whatever obstacles they may face. Perhaps that resilience could even be down to an inner desire to live on so that they can continue to be a total bastard to as many people as possible. At times one may wonder that those that are good natured carry their obliging tendencies to the point where they are prepared to step aside and allow someone else to take their place on this planet, thinking "oh well, there you go no point in making a fuss."

So I guess in order to be resilient, one needs to possess that bit of feral about them.
You know, I see this at my job, divas get preferential treatment. It's almost like, why not just do less and complain more? I know that you were talking about the people that were more devious, and I can think of a few and one lived to be old, but no one liked her really, even her own children, very sad.

This post has got me thinking, just about the human nature of people. There are the mean ones out there, the narcissists, let them...hopefully not do too much damage to people around them.

Sorry about your friend @Ash600

Everybody dies. That is Life. It isn't eternal.

Good or bad. I hurt for friends that checked out. I never lived in their heads. I won't judge.

We live, we die, good or bad.

Or, to quote from one of my favorite movies (this is intended as a humorous injection) "Bliss", "We eat, we shit, we die."

Good, bad, old, young...Not to be patronizing or judgemental, but take a job in heathcare...children die, oldsters die...we eat, we shit, we die...

I don't mean to be cold and/or heartless. I have been on the edge (even recently) enough to hurt for the ones that don't make it, self-inflicted or luck of the draw.

Don't buy into some greeting card reality that you can't reach, but don't give up on some other reality that is real.

Be strong, As Dear Old Dad says, "If there ain't no other way, there ain't no better way".

I suspect that many good live long, happy, lives. We just don't notice, because they are long and happy.

Not something that is easily measurable. There have been many good people that lived long lives (and, yes, I am trying to make myself feel better here, as much as I am doing anything else), probably mostly anonymous. I was about to list Big Names, but not everyone agrees on who/what was/is good. A few, just for example; Mother Theresa, Gandhi, Ben Franklin (and all of them have detractors, legitimately).

I try (TRY) to not take it personally.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I often wonder if it is the good ones who die by their own hand. I think death through illness or accident is probably luck of the draw but those who take their own lives are the good ones. Those that have empathy and a conscience, feel guilt and shame are the ones who get consumed by the depression and decide the world would be better off without them. Where as in all truthfulness they are the people that we really need around. These people are always really hard to find irl. We see the narcissists and uncaring around simply because they don't care. They don't care what other people think of them. Those that do care hide themselves away.

A_J_R

This might sound weird but I think some people, from the moment they're born, have an inkling they won't be here for very long. It gives them some kind of drive that makes them special. There's just something about them wanting to live a certain way, often in unconventional ways, or they might be more compassionate, or outgoing. Sometimes dangerous to themselves and others. But they're different, and that 's clear. It's just that it feels like some people know.

Last edited:

shania

@Ash600 - I hope you don't mind if I share a different perspective, since it's my understanding that you're not religious. My observation over the years has been the same as yours. There's an interesting verse in the Bible that might explain to some degree why the good die young as it seems to suggest that righteous people are being removed from the earth to spare them from evil. I think that death is generally viewed as a negative thing, but sometimes I wonder if maybe the people who have gone on ahead (the ones who knew God, anyway) are actually the lucky ones? Just my 2¢ :)

Isaiah 57: 1-2 (NIV)
1 The righteous perish, and no one takes it to heart; the devout are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. 2 Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
What I'd love to know is how the f*ck Ozzy Osbourne and Keith Richards are still alive and kicking to the extent with which they are after all the abuse their bodies have taken LOL! *dunno
That is a question I have often asked myself over the years, lol. You can also add Wilko Johnson, legendary axeman for the group Dr Feelgood to that mix. I can still remember vividly an article in one of the local newspapers running the headline, "Wilko lives!!". The opening line of the article was "Doctors are unable to explain why Wilko Johnson is still alive....."

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
What I'd love to know is how the f*ck Ozzy Osbourne and Keith Richards are still alive and kicking to the extent with which they are after all the abuse their bodies have taken LOL! *dunno
They are preserved and pickled? LOL. I do that here to make jerky, such will be around forever, like twinkies and cockroaches :)

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Always wondered why it seems to be this way, looking at my own father as an example and marveling why no one has killed him yet. But hey for the worst of the worst personalities out there do people really take notice if they are gone? Are they more likely to disappear and no one takes notice?

There are literally millions of dead and they are unclaimed, unidentified here in the US. Bodies people stumble upon, bodies cops cant figure out who etc. How many of those unidentified are the worst of the worst vs good ones that people truly miss? Thats what got me thinking. A homeless dude around here was finally identified after several years of being found in a pond. He was mentally ill. No one missed him nor noticed he was missing for a long time. It was through DNA search they found his brother and thats how the person was confirmed to be the person. Brother was not looking for him. But now he can be laid to rest.

Last edited:

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Always wondered why it seems to be this way, looking at my own father as an example and marveling why no one has killed him yet. But hey for the worst of the worst personalities out there do people really take notice if they are gone? Are they more likely to disappear and no one takes notice?

There are literally millions of dead and they are unclaimed, unidentified here in the US. Bodies people stumble upon, bodies cops cant figure out who etc. How many of those unidentified are the worst of the worst vs good ones that people truly miss? Thats what got me thinking. A homeless dude around here was finally identified after several years of being found in a pond. He was mentally ill. No one missed him nor noticed he was missing for a long time. It was through DNA search they found his brother and thats how the person was confirmed to be the person. Brother was not looking for him. But now he can be laid to rest.

Certainly another angle to consider. I suppose you can say a great deal depends on how much a person has managed to get themselves onto the radar be it for good or bad reasons.
For those with the worst personalities, perhaps in some instances people would rather not think about them if they are gone. The only benefit in thinking about them would be to maybe learn whatever lessons that needs to be learnt so as to avoid a repeat. However, taking a look at this world, that obviously in the main doesn't happen.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
I am 53 years old and still alive. I consider 53 to be old even though I still feel young. I am in the absolute prime of my life. I lift 40-80 pound range hoods right now all day long for QC and packaging. We run 40-70 range hoods per day. I just had a physical and am a prime specimen of life. So I must be evil? I wonder about that. I have done some very selfless things over the past couple weeks for friends of mine, including a haircut for one person and taking a stumbling drunk to the hospital to have his shoulder put in place for another person. As a matter of fact right now I am up past my bedtime by 4 hours because I took a friend to the hospital. I would think if I were evil enough to live long I would have told both of them to fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$175.00
Goal
$255.00