Opinion? Is counseling worth it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by thatonekid, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatonekid

thatonekid New Member

It takes a big chance in letting people know what's going on when you don't want to.
    It can be expensive.

They might just medicate you (another opinion there, are meds worth it?)

Does seeing a counselor actually help?

2. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Counseling can be very helpful. It allows you a place to vent your feelings. They may suggest medications, but Ive found I can refuse the meds since Im living on my own and over age 18 :p So its up to you. And even if they prescribe them dont mean you have to take them.

3. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Well if you feel really bad/depressed/etc. what do you have to lose.Woes that happens is you feel the same.Sure you might have just wasted a couple hundred dollars,but atleast your trying.I'm sure one will work though.

4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

find someone you trust and counseling can be very helpful. Word of advice tho.. dont get too attached :/

5. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

My experience has been that certain medication has been very helpful for me, other medications did nothing.

I haven't found therapy as effective, though I believe a lot of my own self-help efforts have been beneficial. An advantage of talking to someone (anyone) about what you're dealing with is that they can provide an outsider's perspective when you might not be able to reason clearly because of depression (or whatever else).

As far as I know, most forms of therapy (with a competent therapist) and medication have similar success rates in treating depression. The biggest factor (or so I've heard) is whether or not you believe that whatever treatment you receive is going to help. The combination of medication and therapy does have a better success rate from what I've seen. The success rates in general are very good when someone gets competent treatment for depression (more likely than not you will get better).

Good luck with whatever you're going through. It's not easy to make these decisions, particularly opening up about your problems. Usually people are more understanding and helpful than expected though.

6. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

It depends you you find talking helpful?

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes therapy and meds have safed me really have in a way given me back myself that does make sense i hope The right therapist is the key though take care

8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Therapy works.. They teach you coping skills and the difference between cognitive distortions.. I went thru five years of it..I finally quit because we ran out of things to talk about..Therapists can't prescribe meds.. You have to see a shrink to get them prescribed..Good Luck!!

9. Unless you want privacy and do not want to have a person who can see your face.. when you are ranting about your problems.. otherwise, this forum is a good place for it.
    My counsellor also don't know what is good for me.. 26 of them (i have been referred to here and there) but CBT failed..

10. beachdawg

beachdawg Well-Known Member

Counseling can be very useful. Also, it depends on who you go to as to whether you'll get meds or not. A psychologist will typically engage in talk-therapy and often some sort of cognitive behavioral therapy. A psychiatrist is able to prescribe medications.

But, I always say give counseling a try. For me, if nothing else, I felt a little less alone and isolated, and that positive feeling was beneficial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.