Opinion on South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

max0718

What are your views on South Africa at the moment? There were a lot of upsetting events, statements and actions in the country the last few weeks, now leading up to one of the largest events in the world - the soccer world cup. Is there anyone traveling here for the world cup and how safe would you feel coming here?

I'd just like to gauge the international perception of South Africa's status and ability to host the world cup.

Nerve

i had an English teacher who was there for 3 months. He said the people there was very nice, very respectful, but he said he never left the house alone, always walking in group, to prevent any mugging. He said that overall, he really enjoyed the experience.

South Africa is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I feel so so sad that is seems to have dragged itself back 25 years in the space of two weeks. I know I will never see a 'new' South Africa (not in my lifetime) it is going to take hundreds of years for attitudes to change and many new generations. But I really hope things do change because I for one am scared to visit now because I am unsure of how welcome I will be.

I would feel even more scared if I were in an interracial relationship - how would that even go down?

White_Darkness

Personally, I was very surprised when they announced South Africa as the host of the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Just like I was when M. Platini announced that Poland and Ukraine would be co-hosting the Euro Cup in 2012.
I have a feeling that though more stabile countries like France, the US, Germany or even Japan/South Korea shouldn't be favorized, I think some time should pass before these kinds of events were given to 'unstabile' countries like Ukraine and South Africa.
Now, I've personally never been in either one of them (excluding Poland though...) so my opinion of these countries is completely based on the stuff i read in the papers & online and hear on TV. I don't think I'd go to South Africa if I had the chance this year. I'd be too scared.
My freshman yr history teacher was from South Africa and he had nothing but praise for his native country but then again - he was of color (don't know how to say that without sounding racist.. which I'm not) and spent his vacations in Cape Town and/or Johannesburg (don't remember precisely).
I've always wanted to visit South Africa though - it seems to be a very lovely and beautiful country and besides, it's home to one of my fave actresses (Charlize Theron)
Too bad, really.. I hope they manage to solve some of the most burning issues in the upcoming months!

Hache

You need to know where not to go and what not to do, simple as that. If the South African authorities do not educate this summers visitors then it is going to be a disaster.

I've heard many rich people have had to hire bodyguards for this summer.

Zurkhardo

From what I've read, seen,and heard, South Africa is a gorgeous country with a very rich culture. The people - white, black, coloured, and Asian - are all generally warm and nice, and in many places they actually get along a lot better than people think.

The country's biggest issues, from what I understand, are unemployment, HIV/AIDS, and crime, including one of the highest rates of murder and rape in the world. I understand some racial tensions have resurfaced following the murder of a white supremacist by his black workers (then again, such tensions have always been simmering).

I think it's like any developing country: there are good places and bad ones, highly-developed areas and extremely impoverished ones. Personally, I think it makes sense to make South Africa the host; while a part of me had reservations about picking such a troubled country, given that it has so many power outings too, I think it's good to enfranchise the poorer nations that make up the bulk of the world and yet so often get left out. By African standards, South Africa is quite developed and best suited to host the games (except maybe Botswana, but that's a different story).

My concern is for the sex trafficking and prostitution that usually follow these types of events. South Africa had enough problems with these issues without the massive migration of customers the games will bring. Police corruption will have to be cracked down on too.

Hache

The next time football comes to Africa, which wont be for another 12 years at least it will be to North Africa.

Egypt and Morocco can match South Africa if not beat it for security in terms of crime. It's likely that some South African hotels will have a curfew on their guests.

It was only by 4 votes that South Africa beat Morocco to this world cup, Egypt blew it because of crowd trouble in the African Champions League, but that was/is 7 years ago, also around the time of the Iraq war which would have influenced decisions, Morocco may be Islamic as well but they are more an anti-French country and influenced by Algeria.

Shogun

What are your views on South Africa at the moment? There were a lot of upsetting events, statements and actions in the country the last few weeks, now leading up to one of the largest events in the world - the soccer world cup. Is there anyone traveling here for the world cup and how safe would you feel coming here?

I'd just like to gauge the international perception of South Africa's status and ability to host the world cup.
It would be interesting to hear your opinions actually, as a South African resident.

Everything I've personally heard has not only been bad, but shockingly bad. Maybe you could educate us on the real South Africa? Be honest.

max0718

Hey guys. Sorry was away for the weekend, so only saw the replies today.

Here's my opinion on the current situation. I think we have great potential as a nation, but at the moment, under current administration - we're failing miserably. The people here for the most part are very friendly, especially the educated enlightened part of the population. Unfortunately that is not the majority of the nation. The majority of the nation are uneducated, poor and easily swept up by politicians with sinister motives like Julias Malema. He is the politician who recently sang a song "Kill the boer (farmer - synonomous for whites)" and defended the song because he said it formed part of the struggle during apartheid. Not even that, the ANC (party voted into government by 65% of the people) also defended the song. Julias Malema also said he supported the Zanu PF in Zimbabwe, saying that South Africa should also use the farm invasions method - an actual quote being - "it's a very correct method" - to redistribute land to the black population. To me the most worrying sign is that he gets away with these things, and he is supported by a significant portion of the population for his extremist views.

A great sign of how things can turn around happened last year in the USA with Obama being elected while 40 years ago, in some states African Americans weren't even allowed to vote. But for me unfortunately, 40 years is extremely unrealistic in South Africa, because of the fact that a large proportion of the population is illiterate and we have an unemployment ratio of something like 25% (unofficially estimated to be 40%). The most important thing to do is to alleviate the poverty in the country. Unfortunately the government is starting to listen to the significant communist tendencies of the poor masses and ironically that is a serious threat to the expansion of the economy and subsequent job creation for the poor.

Racial tensions have risen again in the last month or so, but in my opinion it's always been there and only now has the spotlight fallen on it again due to the murder of Eugene Terreblanche. I share absolutely none of the extremist views that Terreblanche supported (e.g. establishing a new country just for whites), but I can understand why white people in South Africa are threatened by his murder. It's not that he had any sort of following and support before his murder, because he didn't. I think he was the typical person that white people thought the black population perceived them as. Terms like "racist" has become synonymous with "white" in this country for ANC politicians. Political commentary (if it can be called that) such as Malema's "Kill the boer" song obviously didn't help the situation. And unfortunately the latest of Malema's comments are just waterdrops in an ocean of unjustified, unprovoked and reckless statements that have come to define the ANC. Even our president - Jacob Zuma - (democratically elected) thought he could wash off HIV in the shower after he had unprotected sex a few years ago. He is the first openly polygomous president in the history of South Africa, having something like 5 wives. A case of corruption was also mysteriously dropped against him last year (2 weeks before he was elected), due to technicalities with a person involved in a dismantled agency that was part of the investigations. The days of Nelson Mandela and the reconciliation of the 90s are long gone. The current administration is practicing unofficial apartheid reversed, disguised as a democratic party.

To me the world cup would have been a great opportunity if a competent government was in place that was able to curb the crime present in the country at present. There are 50 people being murdered here every day. I read an article saying that Darfur and some other country at war, were the only other countries in Africa with higher crime rates than here. That puts countries like Zimbabwe (which has a 80% unemployment rate) above us in crime performance. I think that just goes to show, that there are some other forces than poverty at work here. I'd say its fair comment to say that Egypt and Morocco are better equipped to host the world cup.

I sincerely hope that we can sort out our problems. As I said, I do think we as a country have huge potential. If we can just get to a point where the best political party can win the next election (or at least compete), regardless of race representation, we have a chance.

Unfortunately, until the crime issue is sorted out, I can't advise anyone to come to this beautiful country. Safety has to come first, and I think it's reckless of the South African government to not at least warn incoming tourists of potential danger zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

max0718

just got robbed 2 days ago and lost my laptop.. if only this damned crime would stop! 2 doors and a security gate wasn't enough apparently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00