Organ Donation

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by TheWritingWriter, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys - I don't know if this is in the right place or whether it goes against the forum's rules, so if it does I apologise in advance.

Just a simple question. Answer would be appreciated.

Would organs (if a registered donor) be removed from a suicide victim?
  2. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

i hope you are not asking in the event of killing yourself to donate your organs because than would probably count as being against the rules.

in the event of curiosity, id assume they would take the organs as that person is registered but then it is all about the method and how damaging it is to the organs themselves. obviously they cant reuse them if they are damaged so in that sense they probably wouldnt.
  3. I ask because of the time span. If a suicide needs be investigated, the organs would lose life, would they not? Therefore the organs would go to waste.
  4. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

unfortunetly they may not. However, If the hypothetical person left a note with request, and the method didn't damage the organs or left some undamaged then they should take them. I recommend searching on google. perhaps somthing like "organ donors and suicide". :unsure:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  5. Thank you for your replies.

I've googled searched but it's just going through one ear and out the other. Nothing is plain black and white these days!

Any further info would be appreciated. Thank you to the both of you for taking the time to reply.
  6. Hoshi

Hoshi Member

Almost certainly not. After just 10 or 15 of no blood circulation and not being on ice, organs go bad. OD's would damage organs, too.

Short answer: No.
  7. Grazie, Hoshi.

Fair enough when it comes to overdoses, but some suicides are faster with almost zero effect on the internal organs.

Kidneys and corneus' have longer lifespans. How about tissue and bone?
  8. saeyoon Chung

saeyoon Chung Well-Known Member

I believe.. you can just tell the hospital that you would like to donate a liver or heart to an emergency patient. That will do it. No need to come here and ask suicidal strangers.

I certainly do not recommend taking your own life by any means, but at least that would be better than taking a "chance" at suicide.

Besides, talking about organ donations here(on a suicide forum)... only goes to show that you just want to grab any attention in sight.....

I mean.. why even bother talking about organ donation? You can ask someone to help remedy your problem or something but... you know..

If you really were sucidal, you wouldn't even post this kind of question here..

like.. do you actually care about those patients who are in desparate needs? Kind enough to donate your organs? Or are you just "entertaining" the thoughts?

I suggest you do not kid around..
  9. You could not be more wrong. Don't you ever, ever judge me so harshly again. You're sick.

For one, you need to be a registered donor.
    Two, if I wanted attention, I could get tonnes of it elsewhere.
    Three, are you aware of my history? No.
    Four, don't end sentences in 'you know'. That really shows you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
    And finally, I am a REGISTERED ORGAN DONOR. Which means I AM 'kind enough' to donate my organs. Entertaining the thought? Don't be pathetic.

Now, I suggest you choose your words more carefully.
  10. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Well, Saeyoon Chung, I could tell you a few things but writer has already said most of it and could only agree with most of what he (or she unsure) wrote to you in his last post.

I am suicidal as well, ill on top of it, and do wish to donate whatever illnesses haven't yet ruined. My own thoughts have been 'what could possibly be used' after my death either illness or suicide takes me first.

I even posted about it.... and not out of seeking attention but the realist thought of 'if i am to die, why waste what could help another better its life or who knows... save one?'

Dont want to be seen as an 'how noble of her' but once one knows or realizes that possibility of death is faced, why not look and ask about it
    in due time? It is not like you have a chance of asking after death jeeeeee
    so if one can prepare in this outcome the better and should concern not only ill or suicidal people but all human living being.

Before speaking your ...... on others, ask yourself what could be their motives both negatives and positives. NOT all is negative even if touching touchy outcomes.

good day to you and stay safe
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Question about this issue:

Do you think that you are justifying suicide by believing that you can help another who WANTS to live through organ donation?
  12. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

Most suicides require a post mortem to determine the exact cause of death so organs cannot be used for donation.
  13. The post mortem is exactly why I enquired. A clear cause of death would most probably rule that out, however? I don't know. I'm not sure of the ins and outs.

Anastasia - I dont believe suicide is justified in any way, shape or form. But it happens. What harm is there in wanting to help others even AFTER you have gone?
  14. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.