Organising yourself

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by LetItGo, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

What are you like at organising yourself? In any given day do you get done what you had planned to get done? What works for you?

Im really struggling with this atm, I always have. I'm spending too much time doing something, to the point where I resent it. Can't seem to organise myself for more balance.

2. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Well try using a date book or planner. Write things down you need to accomplish and give them each a schedule or time allowed for that one task and try to stick to it.

Try your best to finish things by schedule.
    That's the only way I can get anything done without stress eating me up.

3. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

i tend to get side tracked, so ill start somthing and then it'll lead to somwhere else and so forth, so my original plan gets alterd, i find i have to write specific things on a note board inorder for them to take priority

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

The only way I stick to anything is to write lists, then I tick them off as they get done.
    There is a certain satisfaction at seeing a list all ticked and done :biggrin:

5. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

with Terry and BioHomo here.

i've been doing this for years.

lists, lists, lists!!! i live by lists. write them in a planner, maybe! a little notebook of to-do lists with dates in it. getting things done feels like a bunch of small victories and makes one's day that much better!

i devote about five or ten minutes a night, after i've completed that day's to-dos, to writing my list for tomorrow's duties (i also write, at the end of that day's list, "write tomorrow's list," lest i try to neglect even that task). after that, i don't worry about anything else tedious for that day or for tomorrow. i'm done. once i've written tomorrow's list, i turn my activity switch off and go into relaxation or fun-having mode and do my best not to fret about the next day or the day i've just completed because, hey, i know what i have to do tomorrow and it's all written down and there's nothing i can do about it today! that keeps me from getting terribly overwhelmed, the one day at a time thing.

if there's something that has to be done in the near future that's eating me, i have a planner, and i write it in the planner for the date that i must worry about it. that way, when i reach it, i'll know i'm there (so i don't have to worry about forgetting), but for now, it's not a priority.

simply just writing a list of what i have to do dissolves some of the stress, because then i don't have to worry about forgetting things (and, frankly i don't trust myself too much not to forget or neglect things somewhat unconsciously).

they get rid of so much frustration that may have been there otherwise. they're pretty much indispensable to me.

i must admit, though, that it's to the point where it's almost obsessive and i have to write every tiny thing down that i plan to do. but, hey! keeps things efficient. anything that keeps me sane is a good thing, i'd say.

and yeah, the sticking to a time thing might be helpful: write down an allotted amount of time for each task, and once that time is up (unless you absolutely have to keep going for whatever reason), force yourself to move on to the next!

good luck.

:loopy:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i listen to myself. if something is too much for me, it's too much and i'll leave it till the next day or look elsewhere for what i need to do which doesn't cause me so much stress.

i usually leave it till i find the energy to do it.

when i do have energy then doing what i need to do isn't so much trouble.
    that's how my housework goes. sometimes i devote a whole day once a week just to cleaning/tidying/shopping so i don't need to think about it for however long after. but if i don't have the energy then....that just goes.

i don't have much to organise apart from my flat and keeping that and my meals going...but it's a lot of effort when i'm ill.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I lack in motivation so I don't get much done..I'll plan something for each day and a week or two later I am still planning on doing it..My depression keeps me from getting anything done..

8. Abi_21

Abi_21 Well-Known Member

i lack faith in myself i have been let down so much and my family and friends seem to be way better at things than me and i havent done anything great with my life *sigh*

9. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I see what you guys are saying about lists. I'm a listaholic, but they dont tend to stick with me. Seems I'm usually in one of two possible moods - wasting time aimlessly browsing the net, or obsessing over what I should have done yesterday. This weekend is a prime example of the former.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.