Osama bin laden dead, good thing or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos General

I know a lot of people are glad he is dead and im one of them due to what happened in london back in 2005, but it poses an interesting question. Sure his death will bring closure and i dont think anyone can say otherwise but equally it has just emerged in the UK that America never intended to take him alive.

Surely after learning this then all we can expect is reprisals? I personally think the best all around was to detain him because all thats happened now is he has been made into a martyr for thousands of extremists who would want to emulate him and follow in his footsteps.

FBD

its good that hes gone and can no longer hurt people the way he has...im worried about retaliations from his followers thou.

Illusion

its good that hes gone and can no longer hurt people the way he has...im worried about retaliations from his followers thou.
Same. I feel like his followers are gonna try to get revenge. Overall its still a good thing hes gone though.

IV2010

glad they 'got him' but I think he should've been taken alive...more justice that way..

I too am worried about the reprisals that will now follow his death..

Issaccs

I imagine somewhere down the line a take no prisoners order was taken by someone who realises that whether captured or dead reprisals were likely.

However a dead Bin Laden ends up forgotten eventually, one in Gitmo or wherever else is likely to inspire kidnappings and ransoming for releases until he died anyway.

As far as making the world safer, I really doubt it will make any difference, theirs plenty of pissed off extremists capable of orchestrating terrorist attacks.

spiritxfade

I think they were afriad that, if they captured Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda would just capture some other high-profile person and demand Bin Laden as ransom....

Anyway, I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or not. Yes, we took out the head of Al-Qaeda and one of the huge money resources for the terrorist group....but at the same time there are probably loads of people ready to take Bin Laden's place and they will find other ways to fund their attacks. Also, we probably ticked off a bunch of people over there in doing this operation...and so we honestly should expect reprisals.

Quite frankly, I think the people who are practically partying at Ground Zero are being too...something. I'm not sure what word I'm looking for there....

It's not really a victory. It's not really cause for celebration. It's more of a "yay, bin laden is dead, now we have closure" rather than "YAY! WE TOOK OUT THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL!" (which, by the way, some people seem to believe).

To be honest, I'm glad he's gone. But I'm nowhere near close to being celebratory.

Mostly an indifferent thing.

With the current leaks about the Pakistani intelligence forces keeping him alive,well it seems he was just a little part of the overall problem.

Who has access to his money now?
Certainly not "our side".
Hopefully not the people who have been keeping him alive the past decade.

Issaccs

Is the Americans helping him really that embarrassing to the Americans?
I mean its common knowledge anyway, they've made bloody films about the entire funding the mujahideen bit anyway.

bhawk

anyone who thinks its good for another human to be killed is as bad as him himself. His death is not a good thing.
The reason people hated him was due to his condonation of killing people.

Remember nietzsche's quote 'Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.'

Also remember that by having killed him you have made a martyr and now people will be spurred on by his death.

bhawk

Whatever you do with him, he'll inspire others to murder, at least now his influence can only diminish with time.
just like the works of kafka's, picasso's, jesus's etc died with them. No. Death does not mean their influence and ideologies die with them, it is often the reverse.
By making him a martyr it will only serve to spur on his followers.
Bringing him to justice and making him a prisoner would have done more to show his followers he did not have allah on his side.

It IS a good thing. He was too much of a threat to keep alive. He caused pain to so many and now his reign is over, the acts of terror may not be as great. Or they could be worse in retaliation..

I think it's good justice has finally been served.

~Shiori~

Account Closed
I maybe among the few but I can not find any solace in Bin Laden's death. Not only have I been finding it kind of uncivilized for people to be celebrating his death in the streets but I worry of whoever will be taking Bin Laden's place. I think we have shown our true colors by all of the celebrating of his death videos/pictures. Bin Laden will now be seen as a martyr instead of as a criminal.

Ouroboros

SF Supporter
there is no black or white, bad or good. We should not be celebrating, I think it might help bring some closure to those directly affected by his actions but thats the thing it wasn't just him and they are still out there. If they had kept him alive it would probably have sparked reasons to attack more in an effort to release him. However I do not think we should celebrate any death just not celebrate his life like we would a 'good' person. His death does not change the past. Those lives are still lost and hurt. It's those people that should be the focus. I hope something good will come of this, but he was a leader of many, and someone will take his place, we should remember this and not get caught up in this 'victory'.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
bad. i dont condone killing anyways.
an eye for en eye isnt my thing.
and anyone celebrating someones death wether it be
friend or foe, seems a bit sadistic to me.
its creepy. also wouldnt it have been smarter to hold him
alive and get more information about things from him?
I think they just went and killed him too fast. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

topsail81

bad. i dont condone killing anyways.
an eye for en eye isnt my thing.
and anyone celebrating someones death wether it be
friend or foe, seems a bit sadistic to me.
its creepy. also wouldnt it have been smarter to hold him
alive and get more information about things from him?
I think they just went and killed him too fast. :/
Yeah, when a guy is trying to shoot at you, the Navy Seals should definitely take the time to run and hide and somehow find a way to disarm him to try and get information out of him. Makes perfect sense. That way more people would die as result of Osama being alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00