Oscar Pistorius to learn his fate this week! We the jury.... *trigger warning*

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Oscar will learn his fate on september 11th, if found guilty of the murder of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp he could spend 25 years behind bars! There is no jury in south Africa, the judge will be giving the verdict on Thursday.

Who here has been following this trial? I have been following it for months, it was originally only meant to last 3 weeks but he was ordered to stay at a psychiatric unit for a month. Do you believe his story which is that he accidentally killed his girlfriend thinking she was an intruder? Or the prosecution that he murdered her during an argument? Do you think he is guilty of premeditated murder or innocent mistaking her for an intruder?

Personally...I think he is guilty as hell! I watched a lot of the trial as it was televised and a lot of witnesses described him as a gun crazed control freak who was jealous. A few witnesses heard her scream while the shots were being fired. In my opinion he is guilty....would you really get out of bed and shoot without checking if your girlfriend was in bed beside you first? It just seems very sour to me! I have thought of every kind of scenario and it just doesn't make sense any way. And if something just doesn't add up it usually is not true. I don't believe him. I have no idea whether he will actually be found innocent or guilty but I think guilty.
  2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I think he is guilty too Petal; the same as Amanda Knox in the Meredith Kercher murder. I also believe he is faking his being upset over her death, maybe convincing himself he shot her by accident.

"would you really get out of bed and shoot without checking if your girlfriend was in bed beside you first?"

Exactly & very well put Petal
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

He's as guilty as sin! I think he's managed to convince himself that his farfetched version of events is real and you can clearly tell it's not because there are so many inconsistencies it's unreal. It's pissed me off that he's played the mental health card on this one too. He should just grow some balls and admit to what he's done in respect of his dead girlfriend and her heartbroken family.
  4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Just another thought:

Why would Oscar fire multiple shots at the bathroom door if he believed there was an intruder? Would an intruder have locked himself in the bathroom? Why didn't he check to see where Reeva was before he started firing?

The family of Oscar Pistoris are saying it was a tragic accident supported bt a website devoted to Oscar Pistoris:

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's a joke. What kind of message is this sending about to domestic violence abusers?
    The whole thing makes no sense, why shoot at a locked bathroom 4 times, first of all it is locked, second of all he does not know who's in there.... call 911 like anyone else would do and security or fire a shot at the ceiling that would scare the alleged ''intruder'' enough.
    Like I said before I have thought of every possible scenario and it just does not add up, I watched most of the trial and I'm clueless as to why most of the witness testimony's were disregarded. His ex gf testified that she was afraid of him and his rages.
    In MY opinion, they had an argument, she was afraid and locked herself in the bathroom and in rage he killed her over whatever it was about. He took that beautiful innocent woman's life and even the maximum sentence of culpable homicide of 15 years is too lenient IMO. I do not believe he will even get that, much less.
    I think the verdict was based on there were no witnesses to the crime and the only person who knows the truth is sadly gone.
  6. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I also believe his celebrity status has some bearing on the manslaughter verdict when it is pretty obvious the charge should have been murder

If Pistoris is not given a long custodial sentence and is instead given a community sentence then there is no justice for Reeva. I also believe Pistoris used his wealth to buy a favourable verdict for himself, but of course, even if this was the case it will never be proven.
  7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Just something to consider. Most of us here live in a western culture I believe. I really don't think we know the rate of crime or situations people face in their culture compared to our own. I wonder if there is a higher frequency of breakins/murders/rapes because of the climate in South Africa. It could be a rational for his state of mind. But not for unloading 4 bullets at an unidentified target behind a bathroom door.

We live in different environments. Which has a pronounced effect on our state of minds. I can't compare a British lifestyle to that of a South African really... so I have to assume the Judge is privy to more understandings. That or she's corrupt. But that can be said about any high profile case where the defendant doesn't get convicted on 100% of the charges.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  8. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If it was anywhere but South Africa, I'd say guilty as sin; but like Blake, I've read so much on the crime rate and violent crime that prevails out there, I'd be tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.