Other depression forums?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Hae-Gi, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Because of the forum infraction system that will be introduced the 22nd, this forum has finally become too much of a nanny, so I, and I hope many others, feel it has finally just become too shitty and too difficult to use. It has been so for long with all the censorship about things that shouldn't even be questioned if they should be allowed to mention or talk about (like with sex), but this is the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended, lol :laugh:). So I'm asking if someone knows of a better, more reasonable depression forum than this. This cannot possibly be the best one available. If the forum you'd like to mention might be too "inappropriate", according to the forum rules, please PM me. All others that want to find another place, because of this (among other issues, perhaps), should also post in this thread. That way, in case some forum might have to be mentioned in PM's, it is possible for all interested to find out about the same alternative. That would mean that maybe we all can start using the same other forum.

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

One point - you can talk about sex on the forum - see the 'Relationships' section.

Good luck in finding another forum - I hope you have a more positive expierence there, than you felt you did with SF.

3. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Yes, I'm sure you understand that I haven't managed to miss that section. You can talk about sex as long as it stays tame. You can't get into too much detail, you can't really talk about fetishes (one thread was deleted because of one person's mysterious post(s)), you can't talk about sex toys (got deleted, and hey, friendly Dave_N who started it was banned a while after, too)... what else sex related can't you talk about? Feel free to point it all out, Abacus.

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I've looked for other depression forums myself, I'm happy with the way things are here and after searching I'm sure SF is the best one out there.
    I'm a member of another one, but they're so up themselves with rules it's pointless giving you a link. If you do find one please PM me it.

5. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

One member here PM'ed me about www.nshn.co.uk, or National Self Harm Network. I personally don't self-harm but it isn't exclusive to that, so other non-self-harmers may want to consider it, too. But those who have used it, what experiences have you had with it? How much less does it censor than SF? Apparently it does censor less, although I'm unsure. How prude are they when it comes to sexual discussion, for instance? Like, can you talk about fetishes without keeping in with the details?

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

8. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

That member was banned for a number of reasons not just that particular post. And if you don't like it then you are free to leave. You will find with any organization/ group like this they will have guidelines because it has to protect its members and stay with in the bounds of the law.

9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I don't really see a problem with the infraction system...

Why would you wanna insult people, send malicious PM's or encourage self harm anyway?

The infraction system seems reasonable.

As for sex talk, there are thousands of forums dedicated to that scattered all over the internet. I use different forums for different things, for example I'm a huge Mixed Martial Arts fan, but I wouldn't expect to have a discussion on that here.... so I use a specific MMA forum to talk about it. I suffer with BDD and use a specific forum for that too. Don't limit yourself to one type of forum when you have more than one type of interest.

Some people come here because they're rape victims, sexual abuse victims or just need affectionate support. So I doubt they wanna see threads about perverse sexual fetishes cluttering up the forum.

10. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Seems to me you need a sex forum rather than a suicide forum. Regardless of where you find yourself there are going to be rules and guidelines that must be followed. You follow them you're safe. You break them you pay the consequences. Pretty simple and straight forward. And the rules are posted and there for all members to read. No hidden agendas so everyone has the same chance at respecting them. And those rules are there to protect you as well as other members. Hope you find the site you are looking for but dont be disappointed when the lack of rules causes you grief rather than "freedom". Best of luck.

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

The rules are there to keep the members as safe as possible. This is a suicide support site, not a sexual open forum; and I'm sure there are tons of communities you could join if you want to post sexual topics. Not every single subject has to be discussed on one forum.

On the site I run, we do have a forum where people can have conversations about their sexual experiences. but it's a private forum for members over the age of eighteen, and even that forum has rules so that things don't get out of hand.

12. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

http://www.enotalone.com/forum/index.php

OK its mostly a relationship advice forum, but it covers most every aspect, including suicide and self harm, it has a very good sex and romance forum to it.
    But it is very strict on its rules, no swearing whatsoever, but it is a VERY big forum.
    And I feel does alot more than SF does, no offence to anyone here :)

13. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

The staff on Sf are working together to keep Sf as a supportive environment, a place where all members who want to be here follow 1 basic rule..
    That is all we are doing, all members are here by choice and of course can choose not to be here.
    Any members who wish to move on from Sf, we sincerely hope that you will find a forum you are happy with.

Hazel

14. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

I have checked out numerous other sites, and haven't found one yet that comes close to being as good as SF. But as many said, SF is about suicide and depression, not sex. And as noted, sexual talk can be a major trigger for many people on here, hence the rules. And any site you find, even if they do allow more sexually related talk, they will still HAVE rules... every place out there has them in one fashion or another, and the ones here at SF are there SOLELY to protect the members, and I am glad for them.

I do hope you can find what you are looking for, and wish you the best of luck in your search. But as for suicide and depression support, I doubt that you'll find anything better than SF. :sf:

Good luck!

15. katy101

katy101 Active Member

I agree. It is a suicide forum and its not a sex forum and there are a lot of people who are triggered by that topic myself included.
    I mean really what is talking graphically about sex got to do with anything?

16. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Maybe I need both?

I have never said I want a forum without rules, what I have meant is that I don't want a police state-like nanny forum.

I'd reply better to some things in this thread but I don't feel like/have no motivation/energy to do that, or no "ork" as it's called in Swedish. I hate how English doesn't have that unspecific word on why you don't want to do it. Blake said what I feel about this really well in the final infraction system thread... he/she said exactly what I think about this down to the very wording.

Thanks for the links... maybe I'll use one of those forums... maybe. They probably are crappy, too, though. The enotalone.com forum sounds good, but that you can't swear in it sounds horrible. It's bad enough when you for some retarded reason can't say <filtered word> on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  17. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

The 'retarded reason' you can't say that word, is because it's highly offensive, and shouldn't be used - it's actually filtered by the forum software.
    We do, however, allow you to say 'f**k', so life should be good, for you...

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  18. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yup, never found a place as good as this either.
    Even if I'm not feeling suicidal, this is where I want to be.
    :sf:

19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

You and I have had several differences of opinion here before and once again you simply appear to have a problem understanding what is being said to you by other SF members and by admin.

What is it exactly that reminds you of a police state? You can use certain swear words here.

What is it that reminds you of a "nanny forum". I haven't seen anything here that reminds me of Mary Poppins.

The only thing you can say is that you don't have the "energy" or "motivation" to reply...yet you continue to have plenty of energy to complain.

Several people have made excellent suggestions to you. They even refer you to other sites. If that's not good enough, why don't you look around for yourself. You seem to need a site where you can swear all you want and talk about sex all you want. Yet you keep coming back here to complain about this and that.

You need a sexually based site to fulfill those needs, and there are plenty of them. What are you waiting for?

20. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

Perfectly stated! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.