other peoples happiness?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by DarkLordVader, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordVader

DarkLordVader Well-Known Member

does seeing other people, couples, families happiness depress you? i have been like this for 4 years now, is there any end to this? am i doomed to be depressed and suicidal forever now?
  2. frantic

frantic Well-Known Member

not so much anymore now. but wheni was little, growing up in an abusive family with a depressed mother, that happened a lot. my mother was in the hospital a lot due to her depression, and there was no father, so i spent a lot of time with other people. especially spending christmas with other people always showed me how it could be, how it *should* be. i always wished i didn't have to go back. when my mother was in the hospital, those were the happiest days of my childhood. unlike the 72 hours here, she would be gone for anywhere from 1 month to 3 months.

i don' tthink your'e doomed. it did go away for me, after many many years.
  3. WldHair

WldHair Well-Known Member

No. I like watching other people and I'm glad to see them happy. Its one of the weird pleasures that pleases me and it lifts my mood. I know these situations wouldn't really work for me, so I'm over trying to make them happen, and once in a while I have experienced them, so that's been enough for me.
  4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I like to see happy people. Any envy is tempered by the fact that I have been around long enough to know a good part of the time that "happiness" is at least in part an act because they know people are watching... My family is very good at smiling and being happy, pretending absolutely everything in the world is good - when people are watching. Fact is though, I hope they sincerely are happy as it means there is a possibility for that to be....

No, you are not doomed forever to be depressed and suicidal - huge numbers of people , including many that have been on this forum, have recovered to a point that they can be or are happy and non-suicidal all the time. Usually that happens shortly after they realize it will not just go away by itself.
  5. Blackbird33

Blackbird33 Well-Known Member

I don't resent anyone else's happiness but it does depress me to see almost everyone grew up with has moved on to the next phase in their life. While I will most likely end up dying alone and bitter (that's assuming I even make it to old age.
  6. DarkLordVader

ever since my kids mother died from a overdose of sleeping pills and then social services taking my kids away i am right where you are
  7. RenoBill

RenoBill Active Member

I had problems with that yesterday. I went to dinner at a nice buffet with a friend, and watching other couples, families, etc.,, happy and enjoying their day really got to me. At the end of the day, I was back home alone except for my cat. I try to go with the advice of not comparing myself to other people, but it's hard not to. I feel so alone and lonely!
  8. WldHair

WldHair Well-Known Member

If it means anything to anyone, I went downhill in late 2002 when I lost my friend to an airline crash. During that time, it was a rollarcoaster ride emotionally because I went into a horrible depression not just about her, but many things and it was mostly downhill, then my mom died in 2007 and I thought that was it, I would never be happy again. I went through a multitude of therapists, pills, trying this and that, but it wasn't until 2008 that I was finally able to get myself together again and found the right medication to help me. It's the refusal to go out in the horrible state in I was in. I simply stopped trying to make myself feel better and acknowledged the dark pit I was in. I wrote, I played music, and I told people if they didn't like it then they could leave and some of them did. In the end, I became much stronger and much more compassionate towards others. Just go through, be honest about your feelings and where you are and put one foot in front of the other. One lesson I did learn was that other people can't help you. I wanted so desperately to have a friend at that time and to have people that cared about me, and it didn't happen. I learned to depend on myself and now, even though I have friends, I don't need them, I have them because I want them, but I'm basically a loner. I have my husband and my kids and they keep me very busy. Even if they weren't here, I'd be too busy with my own stuff to worry about having friends and such, plus I have the loving spirit guides who keep me protected now. Think about this, these are all lessons to teach you strength and how to deal with this difficult world. When you get through it, you can then be a way-shower for others who need you. I try to come here often and offer whatever caring words I can.
  9. DarkLordVader

well some people do have success stories, but me myself, i am all alone. no family and a hand full of drug addict/alcoholic friends. i just dont see anything good happening to me ever, i have ruined my life and sally dying has just made it worse. why cant we all just goto sleep and not wake up, would be so much easier
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy Active Member

Yeah, it does. Weirdly the exception is families with children. Seeing kids happy always makes me smile.
  11. SnowFallenAngel

SnowFallenAngel Well-Known Member

I have a saying: "I can sympathize with people's pains but not with their pleasures, there is something curiously boring about someone else's happiness!"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.