Other's attitude bringing me down.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Hache, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Ok so I've been home for summer for almost 3 months now and I have 3 weeks left.

I'm not a depressed person anymore but I find I get those depressed headaches, onset by listening to other people whinge, whine, bitch, argue and moan.

I have to sit there whilst my parents argue, moan or get angry at things a lot. My best friend here keeps going on many angry bitching frustrated rants about pathetic little things that have happened.

I dont know, maybe this is just british lifestyle and mentality. After all there have been many articles about this being a whining country of people who cant be happy.

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I don't know. It could be. Alot of people in the UK seem a bit down. It's been my experience atleast, since I moved here from Canada. The best way to start a conversation with someone in a workplace, is to complain about something I've found. It seems that when you start talking positively about something people are taken a back by it. .. and Id always rather start a positive conversation :)

Perhaps you could try and counter the negativity for what the people in your life bring. It's actually a sort of skill to acquire and to keep up, because they can keep coming with the negative aspect. I donno. I just play tennis with it, but without making them lose control of the ball so to say. I'd rather they see a flip side of it then be stuck in the negative.

Ofcourse negative perspectives are needed. .. Though some people over do it. And then there is the dodge the conversation technique.. :(

3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Yeh I think perhaps its because I am at home and only see/talk to a few people and its been like that for a few months so it's wearing me down. Its impossible to avoid.

I think you're right about complaining, it's all we talk about, infact looking back at myself it seems to be the only way I know to talk to someone. Shame :(

4. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I've only lived here 6 years and I've also become a whiner. I find whining is all people do during social time at college. About teachers, exams, people, homework and whatnot. Try doing something different from sitting around and chatting to the same people, over and over again (that's when most of the whining takes place). Playing sports helps, that's all I do with mates. But anything else distracting should help cut down on the depressive talk.