our species.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by meaningless-vessel, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

. Is the human species destructive and manipulative?

Just a topic for discussion

2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think there's any question about it. The human race is incredibly destructive. Considering we are the most powerful we should make it our job to protect those who are vulnerable or less fortunate. Look at all the animal cruelty in the world. Look at how much of the planet has been destroyed. Look at the "third world" countries and then look at their leaders and their governments.

Humans are responsible for everything that is wrong with the world.

3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

We're not that bad. Considering our core values if we started balancing everything we'd start infringing on our own freedoms. There's alot of us so... we essentially just need to learn how to acquire energy at a more basic state and harness it into what we need it for. The rest of the problems are essentially individual want and desires would can only be battled out through connecting people with what they are destroying. But when there is next to no free alternatives, every form of abuse will be justified for survival. Be it from the individuals doing it, and the collective "authorities" attempting to maintain a degree of stability. Saying stop won't solve anything

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yes, lots of people seem to be that way...thankfully there is still some good in the world. So I try to focus on that and not on the bad.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Some are, some are not. Like anything else, there is good and bad with everything. Those who are good, which I hope are each of us here (?), can do what we can to strengthen then good by not being destructive or manipulative, and by setting forth to do things that better our lives, the lives of others in our community, and our world as a whole.

6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

All living and non-living things have to destroy in some way or another, not just humans. So of course humans are destructive, just like everything else. But everything also creates.

7. Skyfire

Skyfire Active Member

For certain. And that's not a bad thing.

Most people operate under the false assumption that there is a difference between destruction and creation. There is not. Both 'destruction' and 'creation' are subjective terms for the objective phenomenon known as 'change'.

Everything changes - that is inevitable. Everything has a beginning and an ending - which are also the endings and beginnings of other things.

Human beings cannot help but be party to this constant universal flux, nor should we wish to be. Absolutely to the contrary, as beings with the power to manipulate our environment to such a degree, it is our responsibility to direct the destruction and creation around us in responsible ways. Much of the devastation that results from destruction is a direct result of irresponsible, non-conscious manipulation in creation and/or destruction.

In order to avoid tragedy, we must be manipulative and destructive, while striving to be responsible and wise - a tall order; but also a worthy challenge.

8. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I would just like to further add to my post. I think it's easy to mix the individual with the human race. As individuals we have the capacity to do good. But the human race, as a whole, is the most destructive force there is. SBlake says that "every form of abuse will be justified for survival" but that just isn't true. There is no survival instinct, nor justification, for many of the evils committed by humans. There is just pure selfishness and power. Saying "stop" is the first step to making change.

9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

We are not destructive, that is a human concept, we are merely a species that has been very succesful to the demise of many other species. this however will also lead to ours.
    As a species the majority of the damage we did was due to ignorance, not understanding the complex and subtle ecological system in which we live.
    However, in modern times, the majority of damage being caused to the ecological system is due to big corporations. so in one sense it could be seen that capitalism is the "destructive" force. Individuals do not wish to cause unnecessary damage. If anything charities have shown that individuals are donating trillions in order to undo and reverse some of the effects they have had.

10. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly. You don't need to believe in Christianity and original sin to believe that humanity, at its core, is not all that "moral." I would argue that the presence of other people and societal norms discourage behaviors that we would engage in if no one were watching. We're just a bunch of senseless DNA drones, hopelessly spreading our stupidity with the idea that "life is beautiful" and "everyone is a special little snowflake." So, we procreate and bring more life into this world — all of which will suffer greatly at some point, and plenty of which will spend most of their lives in great suffering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.