Our "Uncertainty Principle" is epitomized by Shakespere... check it out

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ToHelp, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

As we use it, that is. The Uncertainly Principle [TUP] is part of quantum physics which states that the speed of subatomic particle-waves cannot be known in conjuction with their location unless the are observed and vice versa. Only when observed or measured do these hypothetical phenomena--of which we are all made--become real particles. Isn't that fascinating?

But it's a catchy term, so TUP was selected rather on a lark I think to christen this subforum.

Here is an article I wrote, as many people do not realize that UNCERTAINTY and a detailed reflection of same actually encapsules Shakespere's monologue in Hamlet.

Someone asked me "is there an after life? What is your opinion on this?" To which I replied, I need there to be. I need for us to be part of something far more vast than this one lifetime alone because that would be awful. (C'mon. We get this ONE plot line and then it all stops? You gotta be kidding.)

In fact, I have been of this mindset for most of my life, thinking "Well then? Maybe I just choose not to participate."

And it is that thinking that led me here one year ago, for I have considered many times through my life just opting out of the whole deal. Cashing in my chips and not playing that Monster's game Who put us here and allows all the crap that we see.

Gosh I HOPE there's more. But in the end it finally won't matter if you think about it. We either go to nothing, or move on. Who would wish nothingness. Answer- he or she who suffers inordinately through life, thereby making the go not worth it.

And here, I give you Shakespeare's Hamlet in the monologue "To Be Or Not To Be." You know for most of my life I didn't know he was pondering suicide. Duh! But listen:

To be, or not to be--that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
    And by opposing, end them.

To die, to sleep--No more--and by a sleep to say we end
    The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to.

'Tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--
    To sleep--perchance to dream: Aye, there's the rub,
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause. There's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life.

That's just the beginning. Did you catch "what dreams may come"?

Did you see the movie of the same title with Robin Williams? Oh, an incredible drama and love story. I highly recommend yourself and a family to it.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Okay. Interesting concept. :dunno:
  3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Hmm, your posts are always very intellectual and interesting to read :) Keep posting!
  4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

As I must, Lena. As I must. I live to post and sometimes, find posting helps me live.

Gentlelady... come now, you exude confusion. Care to explicate? :smile:

5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Nice piece. I love Hamlet.

I read the play several times over the past six months, and I began to find like five reasons per scene to kill myself.:tongue:

The problem for Hamlet is that he can't kill himself because he's Catholic. Then later on, he acknowledges that death is the end and all life is meaningless in universal retrospection, thus making each breathing day existentially one, big, ambiguous mess. He's about to let his father's "ghost" go, and then he gets kicked in the gut when Ophelia's funeral procession makes it to the grave site.

One of the reasons justifying my suicide was always an existentialist one. "To be or not to be" is a good bit, but the most depressing to me is either the scene where Polinius (sp) lectures Larates (sp) on being himself--after he tells his son several things that he shouldn't do, or the scene where Hamlet berates his mother for her behavior, the ghost appears and the mother can't see him. The one driving ambition in Hamlet's life is invisible to his mother.

The distance between a mother and son reflect no better example of the great void between each person.

Enjoyed it.

6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Well gee that's... I've never read the ENTIRE thing. :huh: Your extrapolations and personal interpretations are most profound!

7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Good play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.