Out of options. Well this sucks...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

So after battling depression for the last 10 years it seems I am stuck with it.

For the last few week I've been asking my GP and support groups like LifeLine and Beyond Blue what other options I have to battle depression. After lengthy conversations with each the answer comes back: 'none'.

What I mean is that I have not been responsive to any medication nor therapy. And believe me over the past 10 years I've tried a lot. This is why I started calling all these organisations: Just to see if they have any suggestions for an alternative or new treatment I havent tried. They dont have any, rendering my case incurable ('chronic' depression).

I'm stuck with depression forever. Fantastic
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

If nothing "out there" can help you Shock, that doesn't mean you are stuck with it. There are things you can do to help yourself, first one is to have the motivation to. Second one is to find a support you can rely on to help talk you through the process of discovering that you can beat it, and integrate it. Beating it doesn't mean forgetting it (wish it did!) but knowing that, at some level, it made enough sense to point you in the right direction of wanting to get better.

if you want to PM me, please do.

To borrow a tool from Dr. Phil - take a notebook and in it record: 3 people who made some kind of life changing impact in your life; 5 events that spring to mind as having influenced you; and 7 critical decisions you've made that have brought you to where you are today.

It was a long time ago that I heard him say this, so I hope I've remembered it correctly....... but you get the idea, it's a tool for self-awareness. Once it's out, down on paper, it helps to heal your perspective, and to focus the search for healing.
    I gave up with the "authorities" who could only prescribe pills and had no understanding of my trauma - and am realising more each day that inside of us lie the tools we need to surface - and discover the meaning of our life behind it all :)
  3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put much faith into what they told you. Just because you don't respond to drugs or therapy doesn't mean that you're stuck with depression forever. It just means that you can't be cured via the so-called "conventional" means. I never was a big believer in the idea that mental illness could be "cured" in the same way that you would cure an illness of the body, anyway. The brain is a lot more complicated than the body. There could be a million different things going on, and there's no magic words or magic pill to magically fix everything at once. Recovering from depression requires a great deal of introspection, confidence, and self control, along with a little bit of luck in most cases. Kind of like what urPrecious says, you need to figure out WHY you feel the way that you do and what it is that will make you feel better. What sort of thoughts cause you to feel bad? What sort of thoughts make you feel better? What is missing from your life, what things from your past still haunt you? You have to understand yourself and identify your problems in order to fix yourself. It's not an easy process, especially as we can sometimes be blind to our own flaws and faulty thinking, or we imagine ourselves as having flaws that we don't actually possess. Self image very rarely reflects the person that we really are. It's possible that you are sabotaging yourself and you just don't know it. If you believe that you are incurable, then it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Understand that recovering from depression doesn't mean that you will never feel sad or down again, it just means that you don't feel that way all the time, it means having enough reasons to live to be able to carry you through a rough patch.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.