Outcasted for being honest

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by thebaronspell, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebaronspell

thebaronspell Well-Known Member

I've always felt like an outsider (past & present personal problems aside) since the age of 10 to be honest. I don't enjoy the many pleasures in life that most people seem to thrive on and I can't figure out why.
    When I wasn't being forced to go out with friends I would be relishing my own company night after night but nobody else understood how I could just want to be alone from the rest of civilization. I've got nothing against their type in music and genres in films in fact that is how I've managed to keep my head afloat in this world with the basis that I can talk to them about stuff I like but wouldn't want to go with them If I can help it to the Cinema or Nightclubs etc.

Everybody thinks I'm weird for snubbing a typical young person's life style for that of an old man to be frank. I won't normally be seen out anywhere and I don't feel like I'm missing out but I just wished people could accept my ideal night would be alone and watching a classic comedy on TV. I don't drink much or do drugs so I couldn't have the same experiences as them and I'm never in a mood to befriend Women because they bore me so much I've got a PHD in yawning gestures. I also dislike the company of my fellow Men but that is something I'd rather not talk about.
  2. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

You sound a lot like me.

I guess I could be labeled anti-social, but the fact is it's not any fear, it's just I don't feel like going out sometimes. Relaxing at home watching TV is sometimes the choice.

But you should know that we do need social interaction as part of our development. And I have always noticed the more social I am, the better I usually feel.

So don't isolate yourself for long periods of time like I have, because that spells trouble and depression.
  3. thebaronspell

I understand that common ground is needed when it comes to social interaction but with me it feels like people have a better time when I don't go out. For instance I could go out with friends some weekends and the moment I skip a night out they come back and tell me what I've missed out on but this stuff would never happen had I been out in the first place. Also they organise trips that I might like and don't invite me along citing it being a last minute thing but I'm easy to get hold of by phone and I live a matter of roads away from them etc. I don't feel like I'm blending with people anyway when the music is so loud and I can't hear people speak or unable to dance like a schoolboy.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I also enjoy spending time alone, especially on the weekends. I'm so busy during the week, with teaching and marking, that I really don't want to go out on the weekends. Weekends are my time to get some rest and relaxation. The only time I really like going out is occasionally if someone is having a party or something. I don't understand how people can go out every single weekend to parties, nightclubs etc.
  5. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Pubs and clubs are my idea of sheer hell. I don't drink and don't like loud music and crowds. My ideal night is to get tucked up and watch a really good film or read a good book (and by good, I mean enjoyable, I actually read a lot of trash)
    I would much rather get one or two friends around and spend a night with decent conversation than go out. If I do ever go out then its for a meal cos at least you get something to eat then and don't have to do the washing up.
    I don't think its an age thing either. I felt like this when I was a teenager. My youngest daughter (19) and her friends would rather sit in and re watch Buffy and play D&D than go out. She's got no time for crowds either.
    You've just not found the right group of friends yet, but you will. In the meantime embrace the fact that you're different. You're one of the interesting people in the world not one of the crowd.
  6. thebaronspell

I'm emphatically grateful to hear from you Catherine and everybody else because you've made it clear to me that I'm destined to remain an outcast due to the fact there is no middle ground anymore. You simply have to be in with the right crowd and be a brown nose suck up or object by being ridiculously unsociable in my life style which I still think remains understated. It isn't like I've tried because I have and I just don't enjoy myself or my friends or strangers don't embark upon the idea of talking to me long enough for me to handle the drab conversations I've had to listen to just so I fit it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.