"Outside beauty is a product of photoshop" and Doves Commercials

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Light_In_The_Dark, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

Four years are passed from that day I realized how Outside beauty is a lie and It can misguide our judgment of the person. Dont ask me how i realized it couse it was painful. Beauty is a product of image editing! I try not to judge people by looks.

BTW i dont think people shouldnt stop caring about their looks, i just think that we shouldnt give so much attention to that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  2. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I've seen those before but I think Dove adverts are a lot of hypocritical crap anyway.

Dove adverts use photo editing, lighting too. And the type of people they use are also a certain acceptable 'look,' if you analyse them closely (ie, their models don't ever seem to have a few spots here and there, they are all smoothly shaven under the arms and legs)

Not only that, they sell products that completely works against being 'natural' which is what they claim to be about

I don't know but Dove adverts make me kind of angry :dunno: even more so than other, 'normal' adverts
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  3. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Beauty is not a product of photo editing. Some people are so beautiful, they don't even need make-up.

I do, however, agree that Dove's commercials are hypocritical and extremely annoying. I always get a little angry, when I see them. Other company commercials are honest about their views on beauty, but Dove, or, to be more precise, Unilever, merely is hypocritical. Dove, and probably many other cleansing products from Unilever, cause allergies, anyway; Dove, at the very least (probably Lux, among others, as well), contains a perfume that is highly allergenic. One can, as such, only gain from avoiding Unilever's cleansing products. Unfortunately, they also own Lipton, but Twinings is far better, anyway.
  4. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I've always thought women look more beautiful without makeup.
  5. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I've wanted to try make up (vaguely) but I go there and feel completely out of place as if I don't have a right to be there and there's all these things I just don't understand? :huh:
  6. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most--if not all--makeup companies use misleading or even false advertising, simply because there are no laws against doing so. Medicines are highly regulated, but the products we put on our skin everyday are not.

I'm just curious: Is this the case in other countries besides America? I know the EU has outlawed some chemicals that the US still allows in makeup and skincare products.

I hate that I'm judged based on the way I look. For years, I absolutely refused to wear any makeup besides concealer and a bit of powder--things I'm sure many pubescent boys would like to wear as well.

However, I began to look into makeup again because I was looking for a job and I thought I would be more memorable and formal if I wore makeup, especially since the best clothes I own are T-shirts and jeans.

When I started wearing makeup, the result was immediate. People--especially men--were nice and polite to me. Before, I had gotten used to people completely ignoring me. If I said, "Excuse me" and tried to go around some people, they didn't let me through. If I said, "Thank you" or "Hello, how are you?" no one would respond. If I walked into a store, no one would offer to help me.

With a few products on my face, all this changed. People said "Hello" to me first. My peers sat beside me in class even when other seats were available, and they would talk to me. Teachers called on me more quickly when I raised my hand. Men noticed me--sometimes in a more negative way (such as commenting on what my shirt said)--but still, they acknowledged my presence.

For a long time, whenever I had makeup on my face, I felt as if I were wearing a death mask, something that highlighted a few short moments of time that will soon be over forever. Now I'm more used to it.

I hate that I have to wear makeup to be treated like a human being. When I was in Paris, people treated me like a person when I didn't wear any at all. In the USA, you have to conform at least somewhat to a standard to be considered a person. Sadly, I was mistaken as a man here repeatedly when I didn't wear makeup, but in France, that mistake was never made. I think Americans use makeup as an easy means of separating and defining the sexes, instead of using face and body shape and behavior like everyone else.

ggg456: If you want to learn about makeup application and products, I'd suggest Paula Begoun's works. :book: I researched makeup and skincare for months trying to find logical and clear information, and her works were the best I could find. You can usually find them at your public library. She's not infallible, and she does push her own products somewhat, but she cites her references, reviews many other products, and gives good instructions for how to apply classical makeup (that is, makeup for enhancing the features versus makeup for self-expression).

Don't trust the makeup people in the mall or stores. They often are ill-trained and they work on a commission--they're salespeople (not to insult salespeople who actually know and are honest about their product lines). They're trying to sell you as many of their products as possible, usually by subtly criticizing your features.

I'm not saying all of them are like this, but I don't have the time and motivation to find the ones who aren't.

Sorry to go on so long, but this topic has always bothered me. I wish people didn't judge appearances, but they do. I guess the best I can do is to try not to judge others. :rolleyes:
  7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Thanks for the recommendation Melmoth:smile:. Maybe one day I'll experiment-make up just scares a me a bit. I'm mistaken for a boy sometimes when I'm wearing boys clothes top to toe it doesn't bother me- in fact it's a bit of a rush when I'm confusing people.

I just don't like the idea of putting unnecessary things on my skin like foundation and things, I've worn a bit of powder/concealer recently out of anxiety in the summer but that's it.
  8. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

So true! I hate this bullshit in society where you have to conform to a ridiculous fake standard of beauty to be socially accepted. Girls don't have to "make up" for any thing! Accept people for their character not their clothes or make up etcetera. were fucking up our own species with this nonsense and it pisses me off. Wearing decent quality clothes and taking good care of your body is good, but thats a bit different than judging some one on their beauty. I'm just an animal not going to pretend im some thing more.
  9. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

I agree! Good point.
  10. Melmoth the Wanderer

ggg456: Don't feel like you have to wear makeup if you don't want to, especially if you don't mind being mistaken for a boy. It just got annoying in my case after a few years of dealing with the following scenario over and over:
    1. Two or three people blatantly staring at me and whispering to each other.
    2. Me trying to ignore the fact or staring blatantly back if I'm annoyed enough.
    3. The entire group coming over to me...
    4. So that one of them with enough courage could ask me, without any other introduction, "What's your name?"
    5. Me answering honestly (fortunately, I have a very "girly" name).
    6. Them looking me over one last time and, without another word, walking away.
    7. Me staring at their backs in confusion, then anger.
    They just couldn't figure out what I was, it seems. Good times for all, I'm sure, though.

You don't have to wear foundation if you don't want to or if you don't need it. Some women (like my mother, whose genes I obviously didn't inherit in this case) don't need anything more than lipstick. Some women don't even need that. Use what you're interesting in using

Darken: Yes, I agree: We're animals, nothing more. The older I get, the more this proves true. I'm angered when we act like we're something superior. The only thing separating us from other animals is technology--we just have very fancy sticks for digging up termites.
  11. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

No I don't feel pressurised to do it- I've just grown steadily interested in messing around with my appearance because I've tended to not care all my life and it's interesting to play around, not to 'attract men' or anything. I don't think I'd ever plaster myself with make up though. Since I met my girlfriend I've seem to have been more comfortable with what I wear seeing as I was messing around with boys clothes since I was 12- maybe she just made me more comfortable with being me.

Those comments/actions sounded like they hurt you a lot. :hug: They were just confused as you probably scared them in some way which had nothing to do with you.
  12. Melmoth the Wanderer

I'm glad you're comfortable with who you are, and that you have someone who is supportive. :smile: Appearance is rather fun to mess around with, so I understand your interest. Eyeshadow and lipstick are the most dramatic and fun, though blush can make quite a difference, too.

If the foundation is applied correctly and is the right shade, it shouldn't look caked on, though I know the "plastered" look is quite common and acceptable. I wear foundation because my skin tone is uneven, but it can be a pain to apply if you don't have great skin (and I don't, so it takes quite a while and gets quite monotonous).

Thanks for the hug. :smile:
    I think it hurt me because I'm very awkward socially (I have social anxiety and possibly Asperger's). Talking to people in general is very stressful for me, so them behaving in such a way made me feel even more freakish than usual.
    I've been told that I scare people sometimes, but I can never figure out why. My sister told me it was because I didn't smile a lot, but when I started smiling more, people were still afraid of me. :dunno: Oh, well.
  13. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

It is hard when whatever you do, you get the feeling people are scared of you. Maybe they aren't though, not all the time...being anxious socially can make you see things in a way that everyone wants to run away when maybe they don't. Maybe some people are just anxious too :dunno: . You don't sound scary to me at all, you sound very friendly. :smile:
    My girlfriend according to some professionals might have Asperger's and we get along great. There are people who will understand. Take care. xx