over eaters?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by fiona, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiona

fiona New Member

i'm not anorexic or bulimic.
    i'm a different type of eating disorder: over-eating.

is there anyone else on this forum who considers themselves over eaters?
    i have an obsession for food. i love it. and it's completely not healthy.
    i'm afraid if i don't get this under control, then i'm going to suffer from serious health consequences in the future.

i am already 30 pounds overweight.
    i've tried EVERY diet in the WORLD and i always fail.

please help me.
    i want to be skinny and healthy.
    but food is my curse. i need it to live, but i might be killing myself with it.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

A dietitian would help set up meals that are healthy A psychologist one that deals with emotion eating disorders to help you replace that whole that sadness with something else then food. of course exercise a different routine throughout your day New things into you life like new interest classes sports groups anything to change where your mind is now. A professional is the best way to finally deal with not the over eating but the cause of it. take care

3. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am an over eater actually sometime I eat so much I actually end up vomiting. I am seeing a nutrionsit and going in for LAP BAND surgrey but addmitedly that is not for everyone. A couple of things I've been told to do (but hasen't always followed due to severe depression and anxiety) is 1) morning exercise. It changes your metabolism for the day and the fact that you put in work in the morning gives you more of an incestive not to eat too much later in the day. 2) try changing the kinds of food you eat, instead of ice cream and soda, try yogart and water, not nearly as appertizing but you will notice a diffrence in your weight right away.

4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I can't say I've had this particular problem. I would definitely recommend following Mordeci's advice, though. It sounds pretty sound to me.

5. lurktheshadows

lurktheshadows Well-Known Member

Your relationship with food sounds tumultuous and horrible, I know..I've been there..I'm still there, quite frequently.

I've been bingeing and restricting off and on since i was 12.
    And then when I was 15 my mom gave me a book that saved my life:
    "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating" by: Geneen Roth

When you see it (I think she has a new book out endorsed by oprah or something o_O) you're probably going to think: "What is this 80's corn, self-helpy bullshit?" but just try it. I had "chronic eating" problems too, until I finally was illuminated with the help of her books.

Your love of food doesn't have to be a curse, you don't have to diet anymore, you don't have to feel the guilt and resentment, and remorse. It's about detaching yourself-your emotional mind-from food.
    I know, I gained 30 pounds in three months once...I also lost 50 pounds over the summer of my freshman year. Either way: getting skinny obsessively, or getting fat obsessively will never make you happy. Your happiness should not, and is not (believe it or not) based on physical appearance. Once you start eating healthily with messages from your body, all will fall into place, you'll be your natural weight. That doesn't mean you can't love yourself until you're there. Love yourself now. As you are.

And it's a long, grueling process...to self-love. Mine involved multiple torturous trysts with staircases and cookies.

And I am still a long way from loving my physical appearance. But I feel liberated, because of that book...it sounds cheesy, but I do. My mind used to revolve around thoughts of food and diets, I can finally live without obsession...without the unhealthy infatuation.
    There are so many woman (and men) out there on the same exact, trying path. You are gorgeous the way you are. You do not need to change your body. I know...I know how hard this is to believe. Just keep saying it to yourself, someday you'll know. You do however need to change your dependent relationship with food (miraculously..but aside from the point, body changes naturally occur when this happens).
    When you're healthy in the mind, you're healthy in the body (obviously there are some exceptions there, but in this case it works)
    Feel free to pm me about it. :)
    I know the pain...the profound depths of pain that originates in this feeling of hideousness...but it's not truly that..is it? It's this feeling of being unloved, of being abnormal, of not deserving love...we blame this on being ugly, we blame this on food..we project our negative emotions on food...
    and I found that...when I used to say "I love food"...that was a lie, what I really thought was that food loves me...it was the only comfort I had. And when you find love in food, an unhealthy relationship is bound to happen.
    wow..I can really rant, can't I? Sorry about that. One last thing:

The suffering is in your mind, not your body. Live happily, live healthily, and forget the rest.
    Just read the book I mentioned. I swear to you, it helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.