over the counter meds

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by SteKelly1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. SteKelly1

SteKelly1 Member

Is there any medication you can buy over the counter? I don't care if they MIGHT NOT work, I just want to try
  2. SteKelly1

SteKelly1 Member

im in England by the way... i desperately need some and before you even say "go to doctors" then it's my choice.
  3. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Could you be a bit more specific on what type of medication you were hoping to acquire over the counter?
  4. SteKelly1

SteKelly1 Member

i just suffer from depression.
    suicide thoughts etc
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Valerian and passionflower, you can get both in health stores or pharmacies. Some people i know have had good and bad experiences with both. I'm not going to tell you to go to the doctor's but it wouldn't be the worst idea.
  6. SteKelly1

SteKelly1 Member

I've been independant all my life. I can not go to the doctors and talk about my problems. I just can't. I know you will say "thats the only way of a good outcome"
    but its just not me. I know you won't understand.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm very open minded so I actually might understand. You have options and while you have options you have hope. You can get st.john's wart (natural treatment for depression) in a pharmacy without a script, maybe you want to read up on that one. Valerian is more for calming you down. Passionflower for anxiety. I might understand so don't give up on us here, we will try and help you.
  8. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

There is a supplement called sam-e. Works almost like a prescription antidepressant. Look into it. I use it.
  9. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I'm sorry as this is not what you want to hear but meds from health stores are not recommended and can be very dangerous to take if you have an undiagnosed mental health condition. The only way to acquire medication safely would be to see a doctor and get some medication prescribed safely. I don't know why you would prefer to take the route where efficacy of herbal meds is widely disputed and can also be dangerous to take over an option where a very highly qualified professional can prescribe you them safely and also provide extra support and help so you can recover from your depression. You can still be independent and talk to a doctor about being depressed. It doesn't make you any less independent, in fact it probably makes you more responsible. You would seek medical help for a broken leg or having a chest infection (both of which would make you physically less independent) so why is depression any different?
  10. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Google is your friend with a question like that as others said its best sometimes to leave it to professionals