over thinking

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by justmeonlyme, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

im not really sure if this is the right place for this but yea...
    ummm... well lately I've noticed (none of this is new but idk i just kinda started thinking about it more and becoming a where of my thoughts) but i noticed i seem to over think everything and always think the worse... like i want do anything until I've gone though it in my head and thought though all the things that will happen if i do this, often focusing mainly on the bad things that could happen...
    also... i worry alot about things like i always think about the worse possible situation... like at the moment im sitting here poking and prodding a lump on the side of my nose... its probably just the start of a pimple... but the things that go though my head is like what if its like idk... a tumour or things like that...
    its starting to get worse... its effecting everything i do... :sigh:
    idk is anyone else like this? coz idk what to do...

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

that could have been me writing this post hun :hug: i find its a coping mechanism if i always think the worst i cant be hurt where if i only think abotu the postivie than i have room to be hurt, i dont do anything without thinking of all the possiblited too hun i really no where your coming from and i think it is jsut a way to prtect ourselves from getting hurt and its a defense that in small amounts cant do any harm, i have no idea how u stop doing it as i do it a lot adn have done for a while, i suppose we jsut have to try and live with it unless anyone has any ideas.

3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I have been doing this for years, and although it can be hindering, I think it is a smart thing to do (although if it is usually or always negative that can be bad). I'd rather try and prepare myself for a situation than go into it without considering the outcomes. The problem with it, I think, is that you can end up expecting one thing and having another thing happen, which stops you in your tracks, or makes the situation a bit worse.

For instance, I will prepare for work by expecting to do a bit of cleaning, or maybe fix something broken, as an aside to my usual moving of furniture. If my boss asks me to do something I'm not expecting, like work the till, I will be surprised and probably not do the task as well as I would if I hadn't tried to plan something out of my control (i.e my workday). I would probably then not enjoy the day as much because I had to do something I wasn't planning on doing, and then wonder what else he would have me do while on the job. That's a weak example, but the only one I can think of right now.

I wonder if a lot of people do this, and I kinda hope they do, because I've always thought I was strange for trying to think of all the possibilities of something. I wish I didn't do it sometimes, but I think I am better off overall, as I tend to function better when I have an idea what will happen. It does stop me from doing some things though.

EDIT: Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, and that you are saying that you think of all the negative possibilities of a situation but you don't think of all the possibilities of any situation. As I'm not positive, I'll leave my post as it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Overthinking to me is the inability to analize the situation and all it's aspects, and then affirm an understanding from a certain point.

Instead of being able to accept a certain Point of view or position in a situation, overthinking is the inability to hold onto your own personal position and so your thoughts continue to move forward with something and spiral.

That wordings fucked, so am I lol, but if that makes any sense to you, thats good :) I know I come off as a bullshiter here, but in all seriousness, if you are finding you keep falling deeper into thoughts, maybe you are having trouble understanding who you are, and that's making it hard for you to hold a position in thoughts.

Bad experiences can undermine your own self by making you second guess your previous postions on things, allowing for other thoughts to become possibilities. I would say to myself that the bad situations need to be addressed and a position needs to be taken agaisnt them. Likewise for the depressive thoughts that come at you now. it'll all come down to you taking a stand for who you are against them.

They are just thoughts. We're open to all thoughts and possiblities, good and bad, and we can stand up against them.
    The problem is when you stand up againt the good thoughts

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I used to do this when I smoked herb. I would always focus on the nagative. Now that I no longer do drugs it is easier to focus on the positive. Not accusing you of doing drugs, I am just sharing. Blessings..

6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I am a chronic overthinker. It really is crippling, when you begin to dwell on the negative emotions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.