Overcoming self harm

mors321

SF Supporter
Hello all

This is my first post in this part of the forum, so I guess that’s proof of self progress?

I just wanted to say that today I had an awful day. I dissembled a razor and harvested the blades from it. I had a good cry and drank much alcohol, all ready to self harm.

But I didn’t. Instead I watched friends and wrote some more of a book that I am writing because I knew that self harming is purely a quick shot of adrenaline and helps nothing in the long term. I knew that if I wanted to make myself feel better I should pursue my life goals and healthy activities that gave me genuine happiness, like writing.

So really what I am saying is I overcame the (almost overwhelming urge) to relapse back into self harm, after three months of avoiding it. I found a healthy outlet.

So my positive message for this thread is that it is possible to overcome the urge to self harm. It’s hard and it sucks but you feel so much better for doing it. You feel like you have accomplished something, and taken a step forwards rather than a step back. You feel like you are a strong person and you know what I might just be able to do this.

So fight the urge my friends. If I can do it, you can do it too, because believe me I am a hot mess.

I hope everyone on this forum finds the help and happiness they are looking for x

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey there, thank you for this excellent positive post and I'm glad to hear you have found a healthy outlet that works for you, be proud of yourself and keep spreading the positivity, congratulations :)

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Hey just wanted to say I think that is really great that you have succeeded in not giving in to the urge to self-harm. I know that it is challenging and I was very tempted to do it earlier also but then I wrote about my feelings instead and just tried with all my might to not be so afraid because that was what was at the heart of it I think, being afraid to feel my feelings and in a way kind of hating them. But I know it doesn't do any good at all. I'm so glad I didn't give in to the urge to do that and I agree that the more times you resist doing that the stronger you become and it gets easier to do things that deal with things in a healthier way :) I haven't done it since April last year I'm glad to say.
Thanks for posting this very positive and inspiring thread, it's helped me feel less alone to know that there's others who are also struggling to resist the urge but who are able to succeed in not giving in to it.

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Hello all

This is my first post in this part of the forum, so I guess that’s proof of self progress?

I just wanted to say that today I had an awful day. I dissembled a razor and harvested the blades from it. I had a good cry and drank much alcohol, all ready to self harm.

But I didn’t. Instead I watched friends and wrote some more of a book that I am writing because I knew that self harming is purely a quick shot of adrenaline and helps nothing in the long term. I knew that if I wanted to make myself feel better I should pursue my life goals and healthy activities that gave me genuine happiness, like writing.

So really what I am saying is I overcame the (almost overwhelming urge) to relapse back into self harm, after three months of avoiding it. I found a healthy outlet.

So my positive message for this thread is that it is possible to overcome the urge to self harm. It’s hard and it sucks but you feel so much better for doing it. You feel like you have accomplished something, and taken a step forwards rather than a step back. You feel like you are a strong person and you know what I might just be able to do this.

So fight the urge my friends. If I can do it, you can do it too, because believe me I am a hot mess.

I hope everyone on this forum finds the help and happiness they are looking for x
Hey @mors321 that’s absolutely amazing! Finding a healthy outlet rather than giving into that nasty urge is amazing! Super proud of you :) it’s amazing that you’ve come here to tell us that you have managed to overcome it with positivity and with something that you love doing :) and what better way to do it than with writing? Who doesn’t love friends? ;)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00