Overly sensitive and I HATE IT!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Why do I have to be one of those people that automatically assumes everything bad is aimed at me?

Why do I walk down the street, hear people laughing or saying things like "oh my God look at that" and then giggling and assume they're laughing at me and that it's all aimed at me?

Why is it when a friend or a family member defends themselves in an argument or a discussion I automatically assume they are attacking me or have some sort of personal vendetta to make me feel small?

Why do I always become extremely defensive when someone disagrees with me or critiques me?

How am I supposed to live like this. I just want to cry.

How am I ever going to be around people again if this is how it's gonna be.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to say that can make this any easier for you.

I just understand how soul crushing this is and i wish i could take it away from you.

3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Wish i was able to say something helpful as well... but i can't :( I hate that thing about people laughing or talking though, or even if someone looks at me weirdly :unsure:
    Best thing is to try and do your best to remember it's more than likely something/someone else they're laughing at or about and attempt to ignore it... much easier said than done. Sorry... :hug:

4. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

Everyone goes through that to some degree. You are not alone in mistaking somebody's innocent laughter for something aimed at you. Shrug it off hun - you just need to work a little on your sense of self worth. :)

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks guys, it's easy to ignore the laughter though (headphones up loud everywhere I go) it's the other things that are the bigger problem.
    How on earth am I meant to have a conversation with somebody if I am going to automatically assume they are attacking me every time they speak? I don't get why I am like this, I hate being so defensive and prickly all of the time.

6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

me too!!!!! I am exactly like this!

sorry I don't have great advice, but you're not alone!!

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I used to be like that. It was so intense for me I dropped out of school and couldn't step out the door for a few months. I always felt like everyone was staring at me.
    I still feel like that now to some degree but it's a lot easier to deal with. Not completely sure how I got over the worst of it, I guess I adjusted to not caring what people thought of me. You've got to live your life and let people think what they want. Here if you'd like to talk about it. :hug:

8. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Seems as though a lot of us are like that, me included. My therapist says don't worry about, others have more going on in their lives than looking at you and making whatever kind of remark, know she's proably right, but I still can't shake that feeling.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I hate being critiqued! I cannot handle someone auditing my work anymore. I can't leave my room, it's hard enough. I spend every waking moment on the computer. It's not like I talk to people.

I hate it just like you do, Alice.

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do you think you're paranoid? What you're talking about seems like paranoia to me. I used to be like that, and can be , at times, and god I know the hell...

When you feel better about yourself and have better boundaries (emotional) and others BS doesn't get to you, all those people become as small as little ants! I felt it recently and it was the first time in my life. All those bullies and bullshitters had no effect on me, nor did social anxiety and I thought wtf is going on?! It can happen...and it might take time, so life might not always be so awful and full of persecution for you.

I'm really sorry you're experiencing it so bad though. :hug:

11. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

It's called hypersensitivity. People with social phobias usually suffer from it and constantly feel like they are being judged or ridiculed by others. The best and worst way to prevent it is to stay inside and avoid contact with other people.
    As for curing it, I have no fucking clue.

12. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Sigh, that's how I deal with mine too, just stay in and avoid others,:lone: man, I also need some sort of cure and quickly.:mellow:

13. minime

minime Well-Known Member

To a great degree, I am like this too. This is because I grew up with an older sister who picked on me every single day calling me ugly and a pig. She would also isolate me and play with other kids and order them not to play with me. When I asked my parents for help and to make her stop, my Dad indirectly said that my sister was right. I went through this for 18 years until she died of kidney failure. So, I am programmed to think that I am ugly and I am a pig and it takes an incredible amount of focus to fight the lies that she put in my head. When I see my baby and childhood pictures now I realize that I was actually a skinny teen but in my mind, I think I am a fat pig.

How about you, were you verbally abused growing up? I am better now because I know these are lies but I still cannot go out without make-up on and find myself looking at mirrors to remind myself that I am not the hideous looking creature I was told I am.

It is difficult to live this way but there are ways to cope with it. I watched this show on PBS and this doctor said to question the thoughts in our heads. He said thoughts lie and we should not accept them but to question them. I try to do this but it is a struggle. Or just to drive the negative thoughts quickly, I count by 2's and 3's. Focusing on the numbers quickly displaces the negative thoughts.

Well, sweetheart, like alison said you are not alone. I hope and pray you find ways to cope and be happier :)

14. shamps

shamps Well-Known Member

I dont like going out,stay in my own world on my own and I cant get hurt.If I do go out I always carry a mirror on me,if somebody laughs near me I get the mirror out to check and see if there is something wrong with my face that would cause them to laugh.

I feel alot like you do and I dont know of a cure except to hide,but then the more you hide the harder it is to come out again so there in lies a vicious circle!

Sorry hun xox

15. Aurora Gory Alice

Yeah very much so. How did you get to knowing that they were lies? Because in my mind all of it still seems true.

16. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Yea I think this is worse than being physically abused. the damage lasts longer.

17. minime

minime Well-Known Member

Practical things...learning how to put on make up, style my hair and trying to dress in a way that I think helps my appearance. After a while, I realized I do not look too bad. Maybe not beautiful, but certainly not the hideous monster that I have in my head.

It is a constant battle though, if I do not see my reflection in a mirror I still feel ugly and unacceptable. I have learned coping mechanisms to help me exist but most of the time "normal" people shove me back into my childhood nightmares.