overstimulation

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by palmtrees, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

Anyone ever just want to shut off a few of their senses so they can even think clearly? A lot of the time I just want to shut myself off altogether. I'm really really sensitive to noise, it's almost painful a lot of the time. Slight changes in temperature or my metabolism make me really irritable. The only time I don't mind any of this is when I'm really drunk or really high. It seems like most people don't get ENOUGH stimulation so they go looking for it. With me it's like a bunch of shit attacking my brain all at once and suffocating my mind. And people wonder why I don't talk much...sometimes the sound of my voice is even too loud for me. Am I alone with this?

2. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

i would rather retreat to my room and work in solitude, than 'go out' i dont know if that counts, i bareley go out ever

3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

It's more fun being alone sometimes. I find that most people bring me down. When they talk about boring stuff like sports, I want to leave the room. The more they talk, the less they know. I'd rather read a book.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've taken up meditating. It's nice to just shut everything up for 30 minutes.

5. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

yea sports, pop culture, celebreties, etc, i guess i cant relate to people cause im not into 'normal' stuff

6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Wow, I could have written this. People are constantly asking me "What? What did you say?" because sometimes I can't even take the sound of my own voice. I'm always asking people to turn down the TV or car radio or please keep their voices down. I'm always asking my girlfriend to slow down her talking, my nerves are getting shot trying to follow what she is telling me.

Everything is getting to be an assault on my senses-you are definitely not alone!

7. slacks315

slacks315 Member

I generally prefer all of my senses being on, just in a quieter darker place. Light has it's advantages, but the dark is just more calming.

8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Yea I am noise sesitive. I will crank up the stereo if a song I really like comes on. When it is over I turn the stereo back down to where you can barely hear it. When I am driving to and from therapy if someone pulls up next to me with one of these boomer cars(loud music,especially rap) I just about loose it. If I had a gun I would probably empty the magazine into there speakers. I have my daughter and grandaughter living with us and I stay in my bedroom. my daughter will start ruff housing with her daughter and she will start screaming at her mom because she is having fun. I know she is just being a kid but it gets under my skin.!~Joseph~

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Have you ever tried meditation? Just find a quiet place (like your room) and sit there and reflect on your thoughts. You sound like you're an empathic person or overly sensitive. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.