Overweight & Suicidal

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anotherpersontalking, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read alot of those real life magazines, they distract me from being suicidal, lately I cant help notice all the plastic surgery stories

"It really hit me when I went into a store and found out I was a size 20"

"I knew I was disgusting when I hit 18 st"

& now I cant stop thinking about it. Im 20 years old, but Im a size 24 in clothes and I weight 19 - 20 st.

I hate myself but I never leave the house so I cant get a job to save up for surgery.

Even if I had the money I would be too sick and ashamed to show myself to a consultant to get surgery..

Do you think I should get a gastric band or plastic surgery ?

I hate myself so much, its wrecking my relationships and my self confidence is so bad that Im house bound. Life cant get much worse.

I feel sick everytime I catch a glimpse of any part of my body, even my hands because it reminds me of how disgusting I am.

I cant live like this, please reply.

2. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

There has been a case here recently of a much loved local comedian, Mikey Robbins, had something like that done, im not sure what exactly, and it has literally saved his life. I think if you cant use diet and exercise, then its certainly an alternative....any short term embarrassment is not as bad as the health consequences of not doing anything about it....not too mention how its effecting your personal life.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I have known people who had the surgery...but it's pretty intense. Ideally, you should do what you can to exercise (just walking on a treadmill at a relatively slow rate for an hour will burn loads of calories) and cut some of your calorie intake. If you burn/cut 3500 calories per week, you will lose 1 pound every week. If you find you can't lose any weight after that, then surgery may be right for you, but you want to be healthy first anyway.

Please don't give up. I know it's hard to get into a workout routine, but the pain you are in every day is worse.

4. I cant get into a routine, Ive tried lots of times in the past year.

as my depression gets worse I dont leave my room most days and thus dont prepare proper meals, so I am eating junk food.

I also drink ALOT of coca cola.

Good tasting food is the only thing that can numb the pain for a few seconds, and I cant stop, I cant make the long term benefits stop the short term need for something to cheer me up..

Am I overweight enough to qualify for this procedure

5. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

:hug: I just wanted to let you know I'm in the same place weightwise, and there is absoluely nothing wrong with it :smile:

6. phylip

phylip Member

being overweight does not come into it

you are not fat
    there is just more of you to love

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Can so relate to this remark. The more miserable you get the more food comforts and fills the void:sad::blink:

Okay so we know why we do it and lets call a spade a spade here "dieting SUCKS" but the fact is a sensible diet and exercise = loss of weight, unless there is an underlying medical problem that is making you put on weight.

So, try to get a regime going. Start with going down a plate size; I did this and within a week or so my stomach got used to smaller amounts and my brain hadnt realized it was being deprived.
    As soon as you feel full...STOP eating.
    Swop chocolate and crisps etc. for fruit..pick a fruit you love or you wont stick to it.
    Have a day off..Saturdays I eat (within reason) whatever I like :biggrin: (I love Saturdays)
    Swop the coca cola for diet coke a.s.a.p not only does it make you fat but can cause diabetes if consumed in large quantities.

If everything fails, then yes, get to the docs and request the surgery. Its risky surgery but the weight is just as dangerous.

8. allofme

allofme Staff Alumni

i understand how you are feeling... i gained so much weight ...over 100 lbs when i was injured and ... mentally fell apart.. it has taken me some time to get a grip but i started nutra systems and have lost 50 pounds so far.. i is a bit pricey but so is all the medical and mental problems that go along with being over weight... i still need to loose about 80 pounds but little by little i will find ways to do it.. after all now that i am disabled what else do i have to do.... i also have issues with leaving the house.. but i started walking my dogs and it has not been too bad... if you feel that bad start walking at night.. if you have a house with steps start using them as a way to exercise.. i got really motivated by watching a show called the biggest looser.. people loose tons on that show .. the thing to remember is YOU ARE NOT DISCISTING... you are big.. over weight .. depressed ... fat people can be very good people... i am learning to accept that.. i am also learning that people who would condem me because of my weight ... are not anyone to waste my time on... we all are flawed... it is just that when looking at me it is easier to tell what my issues are...i know this sounds corny but really the battle is won and lost in the mind... believe in your value and the package becomes less inportaint... and as a result when the focus shifts so can your eating habits... one thing many people dont realize is many people over eat as a form of self abuse... i have issues with injuring myself.. so i can honestly say it is a valid self injurious behavior.... start to love who you are... you are worth it... please pm me any time...safe hugs and support...

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I agree allofme and Terry. Try what you can to reduce your weight by food control and exercise. Surgery is an option, but I have also known peopl that had the surgery and the weight came off. At first they ate the small portions, but soon they began eating like they had before and so many medical problems came out of it. So I guess either way it will have to depend on you and controlling your intake.

10. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

Yeah, what she said.

I was was about to suggest the same thing. Smaller portions, fruit and a little excersise, like walking. Even taking the stairs burns calories. :smile:

And trust me on this one, Diet soda tastes pretty good after a while. If you can't deal so quickly, there is such a thing as Diet Coke with Splenda (they sweetened it with Splenda... it was ideal :biggrin:)

:hug:

11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think the important thing is to just get started...drink more water...workout a little, change one food that adds weight...the best way to get through this is success...I have lost 109 pounds (not sure how many stones as we only use them to smash windshields here in Brooklyn-lol) by only eating when I am hungry and always increasing my physical activiity no matter how I feel...best of luck and I truly know how difficult this is...big hugs, Jackie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.