Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I dont know what to do. My mind is racing with anxious thoughts and I havent been getting enough sleep. I have uni assignments that are due tomorrow and next week. I could probably get them done but in the process I would probably cry and cut myself. I dont know what to do I cant focus.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

@kcho Deep breaths sweetie - panic creates panic and now is not the time to hit a spiral *hugs* - you are super smart and totally capable of doing your assignments. Just break them down into small manageable chunks like we discussed in chat - you don't have to sit down and hammer away at them for hours straight. You got this.

PM me any time if you want to talk *hugs*

3. sofie

sofie Banned Member

Deep breathing, mindfulness, reminding yourself that you are a capable person can all help. Sometimes having deadlines and assignments hanging over us intensifies the anxiety and makes us feel immobilized but I know you can do this -- you can rock the assignments AND handle your panic -- just be gentle with yourself and take it a moment at a time. (((hugs)))

4. Rockclimbinggirl

5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Okay well if it can't be done in a night and it needs to be handed in tomorrow you need to speak with your professor about it ASAP sweetie. Communicating is way better than panicking about it *hugs*

6. Rockclimbinggirl

I have sent him an email.

2 people like this.
  7. Moat

Moat Banned Member

University projects are definitely important, as they eventually share the rest of your life and the career you will one day take on, so I can completely understand how you would be nervous about them and feel the need to cry and the urge to cut if you buckle down with them just to finish them, but Universities have hotlines, for students in need of councelling for when students get so stressed they are unable to cope with their workload and life, so perhaps, if you have not already done so, you should think about the hotline and speaking to someone about how you feel. While it might not seem much from what the people on the other end of the phone line say to you to calm your anxiety and worries, but since when you call support hotlines for your University, you can annonymous and no one will will ever know who you are, sometimes it is best to talk one-one with someone, hear a friendly voice that can help calm your worries and fears.
    A lot of people who work at said University hotlines go through things like yourself and can pass on a lot of their wisdom to you, a lot of it that can relate to you and maybe help you, so you are never alone, not when you have those hotlines and SF at your disposal to help you, Koochie.

Also, do not be ashamed to cry - it is good to hold your emotions in check at times, but there is absolutely nothing wrong at all in letting yourself cry and releasing those pent up feelings, despite the social view that crying is not what blokes should do - anything that helps you get through the day or night is something you SHOULD use, as it helps you release your emotions and stress and can put you in a better frame of mind afterwards.

Or, from what you told me about your avatar and the river and park at your University and how much you love that place, go there sometimes when things feel like they are getting too much for you and just sit down and enjoy the peaceful serenity it offers to clear your mind. Sometimesthings like that can do wonders for you emotionally.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  8. Rockclimbinggirl

Thanks, I've been emailing with my professor. He'll allow me to make up my lab at a later date.

2 people like this.
  9. Moat

Moat Banned Member

That is wonderful news, Koochie! I know a lot of professors just do not give a darn when it comes to students and their emotional problems, but there are some who just know exactly what it is like and I am glad that you have one who understands your needs and is compassionate to give you a little extra time.

10. Rockclimbinggirl

:)So am I. I was so surprised.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am sorry that I did not see this thread until now sweets, so glad the issue has been put to rest. Well done, always know I'm thinking of you and wishing you well ((hugs))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.