Own Your Own Pain...

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by ZasuArt, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

Hey guys :) I'm reading "The Courage to Heal" (for the 900th time) and was reminded of one of my favorite poems on the subject of emotional pain. Hope you also find it helpful...

Own Your Own Pain
    by Patricia Roth Schwartz

Own your own pain.
    Why not? It's yours.

You've hawked it, pushed it, pimped it -
    now,

Your body, breathing, life, guts, luster,
    sweetness, softness,
    pays the price.

So own your own pain. Why not?

You've eaten it for breakfast,
    Sung it to sleep at night,
    Rinsed it out in the basin,
    Watched it rise with the bread.

So- take it, turn it,
    Let it slither,
    Into blood-beat, breast-bone, cell-song,
    skin.

Give it a name.
    What you possess
    Cannot possess you.

2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Not a bad poem, but I honestly don't think that very many people would find it very useful in their darkest hour.

3. ZasuArt

Fair enough, Leif. :) I like it because it reminds me that when it comes down to it, I am still in control of my life, not my depression (although it sure the hell feels like the other way around lately!). But I agree, this poem wouldn't pull anyone out of the depths of despair any more than any other poem would.

4. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

I like the message of the poem, it's just that it's usually forgotten in the tears and sorrow.

5. ZasuArt

Yeah... I think that my view of what is inspirational might be a bit skewed. My partner is always saying, "Are you sure you want to watch/read/listen-to that when you're so down?". And I usually have no earthly idea why she thinks it would be bad for me.

Oh well! Admins, feel free to delete if it's not shiny-happy enough for this section...sorry! :)

:hamster: <--Here's a dancing hamster for your trouble!