Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Stranger1, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't know where to start.. My therapist knows that I follow native american beleifs..She is a Pagan and is a wiccaw(spelling) witch.. She has been pushing me to check out some of there ceremonies.. She beleives in the elements such as earth, wind, fire, and water.. Well in indian beleifs that is also part of what they beleive in..They are having a freedom festival this weekend and she wants me to attend.. I don't find this very comforting..If anything it's scaring me to the other direction.. I guess because I don't know what to expect, and the fact that I am an isolationist and would be traveling out of my comfort zone.. I won't know anyone there..What am I suppose to do.. If I go she will be tickled and if I don't go she will be disappointed..I have checked the websites she gave me and it didn't look like anything I would want to be part of..I'm stuck and don't know which way to turn...
  2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'd say give it a go. You've got nothing to lose, and it might turn out better than you thought. :dunno:
  3. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

You don't want to go, don't go. Your therapist should be working within YOUR belief system for the most effective therapy, not viceversa.

If you want to get out, make sure it's going to something that you geniuenly find an interest in. How about something like a car show? Always fun, and you can leave whenever YOU choose.
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

She sounds unprofessional. Therapists aren't supposed to preach and convert.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. You don't feel comfortable with going, so don't go. Be strong and tell her you don't think it's for you.
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Go wih your gut feelings, Stranger. I don;t think from the little I know, that the two are that similar. Also take heed of what Shogun had said: I agreee, very unprofessional.
  6. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hey Joseph,

Is this the same therapist that you've seen for a couple of years and made progress with? I'd say if she's helping you, you should stick with her. Nobody's perfect, and if it she helps you it shouldn't matter what her belief system is, so long as she respects yours.

If you're really that uncomfortable, tell her that. I'm sure she will understand. Maybe she was just suggesting trying something new, in which case it might not be a bad idea (the trying something new part)...

All the best!

7. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself would you be going to please her or would you be going because it is something you are interested in?

From what you have said already you have answered that question, you are not interested in attending. You have your own beliefs and she should respect that, not try to instill her beliefs on you.

Is this festival something she would also be attending? I'm only asking because I know she is trying to get you out a bit more & perhaps she was thinking you would be a little less anxious attending an event where she is also present.

I know you like your therapist & have a good relationship with her so be honest with her. Please also remember that there are boundaries with these sort of relationships. She may think she is helping you but what she is suggesting may not be the best thing to do professionally.

:hug: xx
  8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i say if you are unconfortable don't go You should only do what your comfortable doing. Your therapist should not be putting her beliefs on you
    It is very unprofessional.
  9. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Joseph. There are many underlying similarities between the Pagan ideas and those of the Native Americans but there are differences. Have you asked your therapist why she thinks it would be a good idea for you to go? I know you have isolated yourself for a long time and if you are working towards getting out more there are worse places you could go to. If you go you will probably meet a mixture of really good people and some crazy space cadets. It could be good for you but the decision must be yours. Do what you feels is right for you. If you are really unsure then allow Great Spirit to guide you. As always I wish you all the best my friend.
  10. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like she is the best therapist for you. She's boxed you into a tight corner to try to make you join in with her beliefs and celebrations. That isn't right. However, it may just be that she wants to broaden your experiences and make you try different things that are out of your comfort level to broaden your horizon and make your life more interesting? Just a thought. It might be worth going along, if you really hate it don't go again, but you never know, you might find you quite enjoy it.
  11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think you should speak to your therapist and express just what you have told us. You researched about it and do not find yourself interested in it. There may be similarities in pganism and Native American beliefs, but the same can be said about many spiritual beliefs. You can find similarities in almost anything if you look for them. It doesn't mean that you should partake of them unless you are searching for something new. I would also be uncomfortable attending something like that knowing my therapist was there. Of course the choice is yours. It would be good for you to get out amongst people, but a freedom festival may be an awfully big step.
  12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter my friends..I have been thinking it over and have pretty much decided this is not what I need right now.. I know I need to try different things, but have been thinging more on the lines of different groups..There are less people involved.. I have to admit I was intrigued with the idea of a freedom fest.. Like snowraven said there are probably some interesting people and then again some real nutcases..Thank you again for your replies..
  13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

So, I am curious to how your therapist reacted. Was she okay with your decision? I hope you do get involved with a few things on a smaller level. Let us know how it is progressing. :hug:
  14. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

I think that you should attend it,
    and please tell us how it went :hug:

My friend is also trying to be a wicca witch,
    it's very cool in my opinion.

I hope that you make (made?) the decision that was the best for you :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.