Paid to post

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by turryburry, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had a job where I was paid to post on various message boards. I was pretty good at the legal and mental health ones but one thing I never did was to lie about being suicidal. I wasn't at the time and I just refused to post that I was. I didn't think it would be right to take advantage of other people's feelings because back then I would've gotten really involved/upset over someone else being suicidal.

What do you think of the concept of being paid to post?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I never even thought about being paid to post to be honest, I don't like the idea of it. Donations are great but being actually paid for peer to peer support it just does not sit well with me. If I were paid to post here, I would refuse the money (If you know me well like others do here you'd believe that). I really wouldn't, it seems very fake. Just my 2 cents.
  3. turryburry

It really gave me a lot of insight to the internet after seeing how many websites hire this company to have people posting on their boards.

I also avoided product testimonials for stuff I've never used.
  4. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

by Paid post you mean .. writing a long fake comment.. and at the end a link to the product which people have to pay to buy ?
  5. turryburry

There were all sorts of websites. Most of them were regular message boards about a variety of topics but there were a few jobs that consisted of just writing reviews on a product we've never tried. I also did a fan page once and the guy ended up getting his own series--after showing up on the Grammys or Academy Awards or something like that.
  6. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

I had no idea this kind of thing was happening on the Internet. What next?!?

With love - Aquarius
  7. Petal

Do not worry-it does not and will never be happening on this site.

Petal x
  8. Morgana

Morgana Well-Known Member

On regular message boards that weren't to do with mental health or support, it might be one thing (Merlin knows I could use the money aha), but for anything personal like that, no, the thought is kind of abhorrent, actually.
  9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I doubt it would be so conspicuous to say "it wouldnt be happening here" if it were. It probably is for all we know.
  10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter my knowledge it's not and has never. That's to MY knowledge and I have never come across someone who I thought was getting paid to post here so I can say with certainty it hasn't. We're a close knit community, we would notice something like that straight away, in my opinion.
  11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Is it truly so bad? Sure, a violation of one's own integrity, and creating an unwittingly false trust are revolting. However, at the end of the day, it's a win-win-win situation where the poser gets paid, the depressed site member gets support, the website gets a more supportive environment for its cause, and no one ever suspects the person is fake. Perhaps it's not so revolting after all. People pose every day and most of them aren't even smart enough to get paid to do it.
  12. Prinnctopher's Belt

I doubt anyone would know. They're paid to blend and be as "genuine" as possible. There's just no way you or anyone would know unless they said so themselves, which is as likely as a spy saying "I'm a spy". I mean I'm sure if theyre getting paid then theyre going to great lengths to appear trustworthy and real.
  13. Petal

I can see where you are coming from PB about the win-win situation, it is just not something I like or would support. Think about it, imagine if I were being paid to post and posted lots of things to you while having no knowledge or experience in dealing with these kind of people but made you feel better with cliche quotes...just not for me but I respect your views PB.
  14. Petal

True good point, they wouldn't exactly find it hard to fit in, just copy what others are doing. However if I did find out it was going on here it'd make me feel sad, its disrespectful :(
  15. Prinnctopher's Belt

People do that already without being paid.

To play devil's advocate, if you never know a person is posing, then no harm no foul. Except a personal harm to the poser by him or herself for being a liar.
  16. Prinnctopher's Belt

Here's a question for the devil's advocate position.

Is it better to value honesty that kills or lie to save a life?

Of course each of us would say honesty in all circumstances is best to preserve the integrity of anything. But if you were offered a million dollar contract to tell "white lies" for a good cause over the course of a few years, would you do it? You could potentially save lives without actually becoming personally involved with anyone offsite, and no one would ever know your true identity and background.

Would you do it? Is anyone already doing it now but not hired to do it?

This is why I don't fux with people who seem super nice and super bubbly and happy and peppy allll the time. All the time! Because theyre just running a game. A bunch of bullshit is what they are.
  17. Petal

True....very true PB. People can pretend to be anyone they want but I believe if they didn't care and were blowing smoke up their ass that they could only keep it up for so long. I do not understand why someone would do it, like why bother?

Like said earlier I respect your opinions just don't understand why someone would give someone else false hope.
  18. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

My initial reaction is kind of negative, but I guess when you think about it it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think if someone were paid to post on a site like this one (and thank you Petal, glad to know that won't happen!) they might offer better comments and advice than someone who, say, comes here as a troll and just stirs things up. Or even a 'legitimate' member who, for whatever reason, just posts negative or unhelpful things.

And ultimately I don't like the idea of a message board being 'tainted' with posts that aren't genuine. I was a Sociology major and I think that message boards are a rich and valuable way to study interactions between people in a community. If paid participants are contributing to the experience, you can't get a true sense of how they function or how effective they are.
  19. Petal

Turryburry, if you want to elaborate, could you explain what kind of boards you were posting on and what kind of money were you getting paid, I am in no way considering it, just curious of how it works...I'd like to hear and learn more about this.
  20. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

As someone who has had to delete spam posts and ban many spammers, the idea annoys me. There may be times when they're less obvious, but many of them are extremely easy to pick out... some, because they blatantly post an advert link at the end of their posts. Others, because they post word for word the same thing to several posts. Luckily, there's a database of spammer IP addresses we can compare to if things look suspicious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.