Pain--its Purpose and,yes, even its Value

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Winslow, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Pain--its Purpose and,yes, even its Value. Has anybody found a purpose and/or value from their painful experiences? Let's put it this way--what lessons have your painful experiences taught you? In my case, one of the lessons I've learned is Forgiveness. Many of us suffer Mistreatment from others, mistreatment that is Unjustified and Unfair, which of course has happened many times in my case. But despite that, I learn to forgive. The way I achieve that is by realizing that Nobody is perfect. If you practice honesty with yourself, even you might realize that you yourself have done Wrong to other people. And I count not only the Wrongs which are intentional but also the Unintentional ones, because even the Unintentional misdeeds hurt people too. After all, from the "victim's" point of view, he/she will still feel hurt. From realizing Nobody is perfect comes the first step in developing forgiveness.

That's one of the things I've learned from suffering. So I'd be interested in any of you other forum-participants as far as what you've learned from Suffering.
  2. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

off the top of my head.. all my pain has taught me is to keep to myself, not trust, and push away....
  3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Pain, for me at least, helps one appreciate the moments in which there is no pain. My past sufferings have only made my comfortable times more enjoyable. It gives you a sense of living, for life is about all experiences, good or bad.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've learned from suffering to never look forward to anything.
  5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Through painful experiences I learned to value the wonder of beauty, music, art and literature. Through my painful experiences I learned how to empathize with people who suffer and more importantly, I realized that humans are most connected in times of weakness. :)

There's deep communication developed through shared pain.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I really like that. There was a time when my mate died and I survived, and I was walking down the street thinking about having another go, and it suddenly struck me, how beautiful it all was, the clouds, the trees, the leaves on the ground. And I wondered why I'd never noticed this before. He was always trying to point it out to me, to make me understand, I just thought he was odd, but he was right.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  7. GammaRae

GammaRae Active Member

I agree with the other replys that my painful experiences have taught me not to trust or at least to give trust very slowly and carefully. I also agree that I guess you can't fully appreciate the good without the bad. I think my experiences have made me more aware,observant and cautious. I've really been through a lot and I think because of that now I really want to help others, specifically children. I really want to teach special ed. one day, assuming I survive that long. :smile:
    I also think the things I have gone through have given me immunity in a weird way. I'm more numb and now it takes a lot to hurt me again. Things that might would bother the average person don't really get me now, because I've already been through so much worse. I feel like at 19, I've already seen some of the worst that this world has to offer and now nothing can catch me off gaurd.
  8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

the thing that hurt me most in life taught me to not get too close to people and to not promise a boyfriend that i'll stay with him forever, because he could be lying and then i would be hurt.

it also gave me two of the best friends that ill always have forever :hug:
    i wouldnt be the same person i am today if i didnt go through all those bad experiances.

they also teach me to not get too excited about something happening, because it wont always be up to my expectations.
  9. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

through pain i have achieved growth.....

and i've been made stronger, and more compassionate, less selfish.

but most importantly, pain has carved deeply into my heart....creating more space to allow others inside