Pain

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I fractured one of my vertebra (AKA "I broke my back") two years ago and it healed wrong. It hurts if I sit or stand for extended periods, so I need to lie down most of the time. I'm in university full time now and so this involves a lot of up time, but today the pain was too much and I had to skip a class. :( I'm on heavy doses of painkillers and I maintain strong abs (this helps reduce the load on the spine) and I meditate daily but it's still too much!

I don't know what to do! I can't drop out again! I can't stand the pain! I'm taking *6* full courses and I can't stand the extra stress from the pain, there's quite enough from school to begin with!

The wait list for a pain clinic is a year. I don't think a GP is willing to do a spinal epidural steroid which has a high probability of making the pain go away completely for weeks at a time.

Help? :\

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Have you tried acupuncture to relieve the pain it works to a point or massage therapy I am sorry you are in this kind of pain is there anyway to decrease your work load some and finish it in the summer some of the courses Talk to a councillor at the school okay let them know your medical history and see what can be accommodated for you Hugs

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Acupuncture will work much along the lines of meditation, causing reduction in pain through relaxation. Massage therapy does relaxation as well as reducing tension in muscles, thus reducing muscular pain - which is a combination of meditation and something that won't help me. :\

And I can't really change my courses around or it'll be an extra year to get into grad school. And all my semesters are 6 courses from here on in. 6.5 for one semester, I guess, but that half course has no real work involved beyond sufficient therapy to get over my fear of presentations.

What I might be able to do is be excused from the lab a bit early if my group consents. But an hour and a half off a 9 hour day won't make it fun times in Rainbowland. And a brace might be useful, I'll look into that too.

4. total eclipse

I do hope you find a solution to help you decrease your suffering hugs to you

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I broke my back again.

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have you tried a tens machine?

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/TENS-Machines.htm

I also broke my back some years ago and have two discs in my back that are arthritic and prone to slip.
    Standing also gives me sciatica and lower back pain and I find the tens machine, while not getting rid of the pain completely, at least takes it down to a dull roar.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Contraindicated with epilepsy, it says :(

I'm looking into a brace and hypnotherapy to try to get me off of the drugs with the bad side effects (which are fantastically effective compared to everything else I've tried, though.)

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I had my brace fitting today. The brace was inappropriate for a T7 fracture, which the brace literature said it could handle. :( So a new, much bulkier, much more restrictive brace is on the way and will likely take at least another 2 weeks.

9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

let me know how you get on with the brace. my physiotherapist just ordered one for me to help with my two slipped discs. i'm in so much pain. 8 months and they haven't healed. on mega drugs...

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've got the brace. It's not minimalist at all. But I think it might help.

11. petersen

petersen New Member

Pain in the nervous system is started. Pain may be sharp or dull. The come and go, or maybe it psychalgia constant.Psychogenic pain or somatoform pain can be called that cause pain, increase, or mental, emotional, or behavior by Afctoors longer.

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Bad news: I fail at basic scientific rigour. I started wearing the brace at the same time I cut my painkiller dose and started self-hypnosis for pain.

Good news: I think the brace is more important than the self-hypnosis, and my pain level has dropped tons even with the reduction in painkiller dose. I'm on two painkillers, a chronic one taken every day that makes me stupid, and one that has no side effects to be taken as needed. I'm hoping to remove the former completely and have pain relief from the brace, the NSAID, and the self-hypnosis.

13. total eclipse

Glad to hear you are doing better now the brace is fitted properly hugs to you

14. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I used to get incredibly painful back spasms that would last for days until I read a tip in an article about back pain. The tip was to stretch my hamstring muscles a couple of times a day. Tight, inflexible hamstring muscles were triggering my back muscles into unbearably painful spasms.

I can lift heavy items or shovel snow for hours and I haven't had to worry about resulting back pain for years. I hope that little tip could help you.

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

This is a bit more severe - I fractured a vertebra and it mishealed. Further, I already do hamstring stretches because I also have muscle back pain, and it helps a lot... I do appreciate the effort, however.

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I broke it again. I probably have osteogenesis imperfecta for which there is no effective treatment for adults so these'll likely keep happening until I'm paralyzed and wheelchair bound.

Life is shit, I'm currently looking into the practicalities of suicide.

17. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Shit, i am so sorry Steffen. I don't know what to say, just if you want to talk please email me. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.