painfully shy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sweep, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

im painfully shy to the point where i just cant talk to people, even tho i want to so much, i want to be able to join in with the rest of the world but i cant do it :(

if i try i always fail because i will panic and go red in front of everybody and i struggle with my voice a lot :(

im to scared to talk to people, i cant do it even tho i want to so much, just cant do it :( :sigh:

im really lonely :(

ive got sa and avpd aswell, its to much.

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Well-Known Member

You describe exactly how I feel. I'm somwhat of a joke at work, especially because of how I go red in front of everybody. everything else you say describes my to a "T". I've always avoided putting myself in those situations, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

A great person from this site suggested getting help and getting some kind of medication. I haven't worked up the nerve to get help yet tho. maybe because I'm sick of being humiliated, and asking my doctor for help would be humiliating for me. I rarely see him, and he's a friend of the family. maybe I'm just full of excuses and BS. I'm realizing now I can't beat this on my own.

3. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

sorry u feel like this aswell :( i hope u find the courage to see your doctor :)

i feel so hopeless with it, its not just that im shy its the extreme anxiety aswell :sigh:

both mixed togehter makes it impossable to talk to people and form friendships and stuff, but just talking is really hard to :(

4. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

hi there. I'm really shy as well. Are you shy because you believe you have a disorder or do you feel insecure or something like it?

5. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

Hey I understand you how you feel.
    Its incredibly hard to talk to people on the internet even.
    its impossible to in real life. I have 0 friends too. Even on the internet.
    Because i never know what to say or how to say it
    And then if i do manage to say it.... I want to delete it right away.
    You can talk to me :3 don't be afraid. I won't think your weird.
    Do you feel that this will get better after talking a little bit with people?
    Have you tried just talking to random people about
    little random things? I've found that helps me get more used to
    talking with people. Even though its very scary replying back to people.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

These are skills you can work on...choose one person who you think will be the most understanding and ask a question...get the answer...say thank you and then plan for next time...the more you practice social interactions, the more comfortable you will feel...it does take work to get through, but something you can find help with...please PM me if I can be there for you...J

7. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I am extremely shy as well, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe anxiety is an underlying issue. Benzodiazapine medications can be very helpful for social anxiety. MAOI's are supposedly helpful for performance anxiety,as is propanalol. Think about the alternatives to being shy. Would you really want to be anything other than who you are, or is the grass just always greener on the other side?

8. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I tremble all the time and have high blood pressure due to being scared. :(
    I haven't had a friend for 8 years :(
    I've never had a true friend though...

9. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

In my teens and early twenties I would panic so severely encountering and speaking to people I didn't know I would stutter and shake. The worst part is how you realize you are showing obvious signs of panic but trying to control the physical signals only makes it worse. There is a saying "what you resist-persists" and it is very true when trying to control the outward signs of anxiety.

I hope you can see a psychologist to gain the tools to deal with the underlying reasons for your avpd and feeling so uncomfortable in social situations. I still struggle with this every time I am in public but I personally choose to avoid the benzodiazepine class of medications. A trick I use when I am badly panicking talking to someone is to pretend that person is someone I am very comfortable with like a close friend or relative.

Most of what causes people anxieties in social situations are overblown negative self assessments. Most of what we worry other people are judging us is only in our minds. Please don't despair over this problem, it is very manageable and keep posting here. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.