Panic attack over future job test/assessment

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by mpk, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I received an email for a test/assessment for a Support Services job with the State Judicial System today. The assessment is on 04-07-16 yet after confirming it I have started having panic/anxiety attacks over this.
    I am not sure that I can put my best foot forward for several reasons, don't want the depression to show, have not interviewed for a job/taken an assessment for new job in over 18 years.
    I know it is not rational to panic over something that may or may not happen or to obsess about it. Deep breathing is not working.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Maybe it's not rational but it's very normal. It's going to be okay though. You can do this!

Here are some of the methods I personally use, the 3rd one works better for my boyfriend than me though...

1: Put your hand over your chest, breathe in deep and let the air out... watch how you move your hand in and out with your breathing...

2: 'The Butterfly hug' cross your arms over your chest and gently one by one tap your fingers on your upper arms. For some reason that calms down your brain with the cross stimulation...

3: the 'grounding' method

-Find 3 things you can see and describe them in detail... shape, size, colour?
    -Find 2 things you can touch and describe them too, are they soft, cold, warm, etc?
    -Taste or smell something, describe and note the taste/smell... if you're tasting something what does it feel like in your mouth?

3. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks I will try these. I try to go to my happy place which is a bench in the middle of a snowstorm with only my footprints leading to it.

4. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

Congrats on the getting the job test/assessment. :) To prepare for interviews I practice answering sample questions I found on monster.com. Being prepared might help cut down on the anxiety. Is there an examination? I'm not sure what kind of job that is, some jobs have exam books you can borrow from the library or buy to prepare for a job exam. Good luck!

5. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Good news but you need try to relax as life is important. My suggestion is that you go for a walk and try to relax to do something that you enjoy. There are loads of relaxing techniques which you can use.

6. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Not sure what the test/assessment is going to be. Have sent email requesting more information yet no response yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.