panic attack suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Petal, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I really did not want to have to start a thread but I do not see a choice now, I am suffering with really bad generalised anxiety. It's quite bad tonight, breathing techniques are not helping, I have taken zyprexa but still waiting for it to kick in, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Williamstuckinarut

Williamstuckinarut Well-Known Member

I'm also prescribed zyprexa. I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time. Sometimes it helps me calm down if I do some house cleaning, water the plants, sort out the washing... that and tea + tobacco

3. Petal

The zyprexa has still not kicked in, I took some phenergan to see would that help. Nope. I am feeling below awful. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them I just wouldn't be able to clean now, it is too late.

4. Petal

In the last few moments I felt a wave of relaxation come over me, I feel okay now. I guess the medications are finally kicking in.

5. Williamstuckinarut

Williamstuckinarut Well-Known Member

Take care have a good night's sleep P

6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I'm sorry to hear you felt so bad last night, Petal *hugs* I hope you got some sleep!

if it happens again, or if anyone else can use this, this is a technique I have used a few times with my boyfriend: The 'grounding technique' and it works for him, even if he struggles to even write because the anxiety affects his aphasia...

Find 3 things (with the bf we use 1) you can see. Describe these object. What shape is it? is it big, small? Colours?
    Find 3 things you can touch. Describe them, are they soft? hard? cold? warm?
    Find one thing you can taste or smell. Describe the taste, texture and smell.

We rarely get to the last point here...

I personally use my own breathing technique. I put my hand on my chest and focus on pushing it in and out.

I hope you feel better hun!