Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Lestat, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have had pannic attacks for years now but they are getting worse. I only have to think of problems and my throught starts to swell up and i sometimes feel like i will faint.

This also stops me from sleeping as i think more when i am getting ready for bed.

Does anyone know anything good to fix this? I have tried reading but at the moment i worry so much I cant read as my mind wonders.

2. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Re: Pannic attacks

:hug:

I have been getting them recently too, I try and think about good thoughts and happy memories. Or just put on some music, something just to keep my mind busy.

3. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

You might have panic disorder. I don't know how you could fix it. I remember reading about therapy for it so maybe that would work. I sometimes have panic attacks but normally I just avoid the situation that I know will give me one. Like I can't get on planes any more because I know I will have a panic attack (because of a really bad experience I had on a plane). So if there are certain situations you know will give you a panic attack maybe just avoid them if they are easily avoided.

4. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

Thing is just going outside gives me them now... and thinking about my life also gives me it... not much i can do.

Only thing that stops them is sleeping now.

5. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Maybe agoraphobia too then? Have you tried antianxiety meds? I really don't know what to tell you sorry. When you feel a panic attack comeing on maybe try to think about something else or do something to get your mind off of it. Try not to think about your life and what's stressing you out. I know thats hard to do but worth a try.

6. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

I know, your right. It is just so hard but I will try.

I know what I need, and I sort of know what I must do to get past this.... but its harder said then done .

Thanks for your help :D

7. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

Hi, I know this is a sort of bump but I need some help.

I do not know why but right now I am having another attack that will not go away. My throat feels like its about to close up.

Its been going on for about 1h now and its just getting worse... any advice on things to do?

I don't even know why its started... it just did... no stress or anything apart from normal things.

8. D3ath

D3ath Well-Known Member

Stupid suggestion but heres an idea.

Have you tried Smelling salts?

I say its worth a try anyway xD cant really explain my reasoning behind it ^_^.

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

The only thing that I can suggest is try meditation to relieve panic attacks. I get really nervous too sometimes, though I'm not sure if they are panic attacks. I find that meditation really helps to relax and calm your mind. Drugs don't work that well with panic attacks, but try them if you wish.

10. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Medication is an option. Otherwise in the mean time try to keep your mind occupied. The attacks will subside in time.

11. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I have them too... i spoted that recently... ussually I have around 10 panic attacks on day... Its hard to describe... but i suddenly dont know what to do, i become tottaly confused and my heart start to beat very fast... i want to avoid them in future:sad:
    Will it get worse?

12. humpty

humpty Active Member

I can say it wont hurt you, but you probably know that. It's a very unpleasant feeling and can be hell on earth.

There are techniques for dealing with them though, like breathing into a paper bag which can help to calm it a bit. And slow breathing through your nose. Breath in through your nose to the count of 3 and out through your nose to the count of 6.

I allways forget about breathing, and just panic anyway :biggrin:

Take care,
    humpty

13. New-Hope

New-Hope Well-Known Member

Hey Hun,

I suffer from panic attacks too. They're a bloody pain in the arse. I'v been living with them for over 5 years now.:dry:

The best cure, I think, for panic attacks is music. It may sound dumb, but it seriously does help. Watching movies can also help, but music is better.
    I don't know of any medication you can take for it though. I went to the doctors about it and he put me on these pink pills that I can't remember the name of... but they were for anxiety attacks. They didn't help whatsoever, they just slow your heart rate down and help you to breathe when you have an attack. They don't prevent you from having panic attacks though.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I know how awful panic attacks are to live with. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.