Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Panic attacks are quite sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety, mounting physiological arousal, fear and discomfort that are associated with a variety of somatic and cognitive symptoms.[1] The onset of these episodes is typically abrupt, and may have no obvious triggers. Although these episodes may appear random, they are considered to be a subset of an evolutionary response commonly referred to as fight or flight that occur out of context, flooding the body with hormones (particularly epinephrine (adrenaline)) that aid in defending itself from harm.[2] Experiencing a panic attack is said to be one of the most intensely frightening, upsetting and uncomfortable experiences of a person's life. (Bourne 2005).

According to the American Psychological Association the symptoms of a panic attack commonly last approximately ten minutes. However, panic attacks can be as short as 1-5 minutes, while sometimes panic attacks may form a cyclic series of episodes, lasting for an extended period, sometimes hours. Often those afflicted will experience significant anticipatory anxiety and limited symptom attacks in between attacks, in situations where attacks have previously occurred, and in situations where they feel "trapped". That is, where escape would be obvious and/or embarrassing.

Panic attacks also affect people differently. Experienced or hardcore sufferers may be able to completely 'ride out' a panic attack with little to no obvious symptoms or external manifestations. Others, notably first-time sufferers, may even call for emergency services; many who experience a panic attack for the first time fear they are having a heart attack or a nervous breakdown.

Does anyone else suffer from panic attacks? I have problems with them since i was 5 years old... Till the age of 13 i had lot of problems with them, then they got on better... However, last 4 months since im really depressed i have them very often, last 2 weeks good part of day...Thankfully they are mostly mild to moderate...But still they are disorder, which i hate much more than other anxiety disorders that i have...

2. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

i used to have them everyday when i was in highschool.up untill i did football.busting my ass off everyday on a field really helped me.but when it was off season my doctor would put me on zoloft which really helped.my doctor said i had panic disorder.

but now i dont have a doctor or meds so i get them probably bout once a week.latly my anxiety has been more of social anxiety.

yeah panic attacks exspecialy when you first get them are horrible.but over time you kinda get used to them but not really.

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

i used to get ativan for anxiety but then my Pdoc took me off it cause it's addicting. i don't care if it is, it's the best thing to take away my anxiety. now i'm on neurontin and it seems to be helping a little, tho not as obviously relaxed as what ativan does. but anything to keep away the shakes and agitation.

4. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

i get them.. quite often too.. i can relate to what was posted about first time sufferers thinkin fearin they might have a heart attack, although I knew then it wasnt it still scared me coz it felt like one.. or well, what i can imagine one to feel like.. actually, i am gettin one right now.. one of the worst ive had i posted about the thread is called cant breathe and is in the crisis forum.. i cannot deal with them and i get them in the moments when i realize the truth, which is that there is no reason for hope that things could turn out again for me..

5. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

I've had pretty bad anxiety problems for awhile, but I didn't have my first real physical panic attack until about two months ago. It scared the ever-livin' crap out of me. I did think there was something really wrong with my heart. I knew enough to realize what was happening and thankfully my boyfriend was there to support me and calm me down. My doc prescribes klonapin for anxiety/panic attacks and it really helps. Last month she gave me xanax to try as well, but that just sent me strait to sleep.

The annoying thing about panic attacks, for me, is that you are already in a state of anxiety and then having such a physical response to it just makes you freak out even more, so it just keeps building and building. When they start, my heart feels like it's pounding off-rhythm and then I can't catch my breath. As soon as I catch my breath, I start breathing too much and can't stop (hyperventilating, I guess). I shake and shake and have to press my hands down hard on my heart because it feels like it's going to come out my throat.

I just thank God that when it happens to me I am almost always with my boyfriend, and he holds me and calms me down really well. I don't know what I'd do without him.

6. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

very good description !

after we firs split and I was still livin in our house he used to do that for me too. ironically, the one who causes them for me is the only one who can really calm me down :mellow:

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thats great (about bf)
    I ussually dont have no one... Its pure suffering... when you are alone on street... I always want to call someone when i have attacks, but probaly people wouldnt understand or they would make fun out of me...

Yesterday i had panic attack from 8PM to 3 AM... Thankfully it was not severe...

8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Is there something against panic attacks except pills?
    Do you need to take pills if you have panic attack daily for over 12 years?

9. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

There's all kinds of alternatives. Some may work for you and some may not, just like meds. Meditation can be very helpful as well as massage. I've heard great things about acupuncture, but I haven't been able to afford to try it yet. Reiki and chakra healing can help as well. Aromatherapy helps me too.

(If you have any questions or want to know more about any of those, you can PM me. I used to run a massage therapy school, and we taught all kinds of healing techniques as well as massage. I've taught classes and written many lesson plans on these subjects.)

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for this advices... Maybe i will try some of them:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.