Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Christopher19, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher19

Christopher19 Member

Does anyone have any tips to cope with panic attacks?

I've been suffering with them, more so recently, and much worse. I feel a claustrophobia, an air hunger and an overwhelming panic. Yesterday, I almost fainted with one.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Do yours have a trigger? (mine come on seeming randomly, or with a single thought of a bad situation)

Chris x
  2. Robin

Robin Guest

Hey Chris, I tried coming off my anti depressant earlier this year and the results weren't pretty, constant panic inducing anxiety attacks. After 5 days in bed practicing breathing and relaxation exercises to avert the worst of them I restarted the meds. That's pretty much the best way to cope with themas far as I know.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I've had several and now have short-term anti-anxiety meds to deal with them. Other than meds, a friend has told me that changing his environment is the best method for him. He gets them at home and to cope he goes for long walks of about 1/2 hour, then when he gets home it has passed. Also, as far as I know, they can strike randomly and fairly quickly.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Acute anxiety meds work wonders for me as well. Just take one, distract yourself for a few minutes, and then you're in the clear.

They're also nice to have for anxiety-provoking situations other than panic attacks. I took one before a date last week and I only babbled incomprehensibly a little!
  5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

In the long-term, antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds are good.

In the short-term: RUN. Run as fast as you can, that distracts you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.