Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aerial, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

Because of my social anxiety, I experience panic attacks. I don't want to make it sound like I am having them every day. No it's not like that, but I do consider even mild reactions to be panic attacks. They just aren't as severe as the big ones. Think of them like the different ranges of earthquakes.

Do you have successful ways that you handle your panic attacks? Prevent them?

I do fear that I might have one during a get-together scheduled for the weekend. I've never been able to control my panic attacks. The only thing I've always done is run away from a situation. Completely avoid everything, thus missing out on so much stuff. But I know I can't keep approaching situations like that.

If you relate to any of this, how do you deal with it all?
  2. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

geting over panic attacks is a long proccess, unfortunately theres no quick cure. You really just have to start off small, do little things until you get ok with it then build up to something else and repeat. you just have to do this slowly and build up, it does work but takes a little time
  3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

i used to be drunk when i was around people to avoid being anxious. Not anymore.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My panic attacks stem from paranoia and socialphobia..I have found that when I go somewhere it usually causes me to panic because I am an isolationist who never leaves my bedroom unless I have to..The one thing I learned from therapy is that if I am in a panic to leave where I am at.. The important part is to make sure I go back to whereever the same day and tell myself it's going to be o.k.
  5. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I had big big panics before, to fainting. To manage what you call "latent panics", I put music on my ears. I quit watching people, like if they watch or not. I go downtown at hours that are more "acceptable" to me. And I'm following a therapy.
  6. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm still fighting anxiety attacks (different from the level 10 panic attacks). I'm having one as we speak, as a matter of fact.

Breathing. Focusing on breathing has been a big, big help. Its like small meditations or something, breathing in 1-2-3-4-5, breathing out 1-2-3-4-5-6, very slowly. Telling myself that this is just another anxiety attack, and I've had them before and have lived through them, and nothing has happened to me, so nothing is going to happen this time. Refocusing myself on writing here (or doing anything really). Just letting it go through my body, knowing its a chemical reaction and will be over eventually.

I started out almost two years ago with complete agoraphobia, and debilitating panic attacks (level 10, hospitalization). I couldn't leave the house or eat any food. Now I can eat again (wish I hadn't! lol I gained back all the weight!) but still have anxiety over new foods (this morning, right now). I can go out without my therapy dog! Whee! I still get anxiety in the stores, but I can do it alone! I couldn't even do it at all two years ago.

So, yeah, it takes a long time, but you can retrain yourself, without medications. Its possible! I'm still doing it but am probably 75% better than I was two years ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.