Panick attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by suicidal maniac, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

I just would like to know does anybody get panick attacks after heavy physical exertion, or exercise?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No just if there are too many people around that when i have panick attacks
  3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Not often, but it can happen.

Have you been to your GP just to make sure there are no underlying issues?
  4. suicidal maniac

I saw one doctor, I od on sleeping pills that's why there is pain. I don't know what it is. This doctor said my heart looks fine, but I get pain when I lift heavy thins.
  5. Robin

Robin Guest

I get terrible chest pains sometimes, am kinda suggestible too in some instances, Dr's asked if I ever had shooting pains in my jaw and a couple days later had shooting pains in my jaw.

I forgot to take my meds last few days, fortunately, I can't go a few days without meds without paying for it, so this morning my pulse felt weak and was beating like a techno song and it's painful. What's worse is the pain, it convinces you that if there is pain, there MUST be something wrong.

There is, anxiety, it can and does cause all sorts of incredibly distressing pains and if you have a possible reason for your distress it pretty much has you by the balls.

Sounds like your body isn't liking the exercise thing, at least not on the level you are doing it at. I find that when I am able, a 45 minute walk, (usually past the pub lol) does wonders :)

Just a word of advice from someone who has suffered from really bad anxiety for over 25 years and is still getting his butt kicked by it after all this time :hug:
  6. suicidal maniac

Thanks you have been great help.
  7. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

Hey..yes, I get it all the time after exercise. I think it's because I push myself too hard and my body creates adrenaline and I react badly to it. I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 10 years now. I no longer get panic attacks from the other things that used to bring them on but I still get them from exercise. Not swimming though. I tend to take it easier in the water I guess so I dont rush so bad and feel weird after.
  8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I don't believe I ever got a panic attack simply from the exercise...
    In gym class in school, I would get panic attacks every day- but I'm pretty sure it was because of the close-quarters things I'd be forced to do with other people... stretching, changing- that kind of thing.

I would think that exercise would produce endorphins that would help to counteract a panic attack?
    -still had them when exercising; but probably because of the people around me-
  9. Infinite Sadness

Yeah I thought that too until I did some reading about overexertion which I think is what I was doing..

Exercise (High Intensity)
    "As exercise intensity increases, neural messages are sent to the adrenal glands located on top of the kidneys which in response secrete adrenaline into the bloodstream."

"If you go too long or too hard, however, your body will start producing excessive stress hormones, defeating your purpose. You want to exercise so you're breathing hard, but still able to get plenty of air and keep going. A good rule of thumb is that you should still be capable of carrying on a conversation while you work out. And you want to stay at it long enough to have an effect (twenty to forty minutes) but not so long it taxes your body to the point of stress."

Now I stick to swimming pretty much..meh. I do agree though, it was even worse when I was in a public gym!! For myself it happens after cardio.
  10. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

That was a helpful article, thanks :smile:
  11. Infinite Sadness

Oh not a problem!
    I'm glad you found it helpful. :)
  12. Ember

Ember Member

I've never noticed them after exercise but I get bad panic attacks where I completely shut down if there are too many people around.
  13. MistyMaisy

MistyMaisy Well-Known Member

I will sometimes. Usually it's if it's dark I'll get them, though. :/
  14. I hate panic attacks. Shit has stopped me from alot of things. Its one of those things you wish you could just cut out of your body.
  15. poison

poison Well-Known Member

every panic attack i've ever had came on randomly. i don't have full blown GAD, only social anxiety with a very minor touch of GAD. i should also note that they are one of the worst things i've ever experienced.
  16. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

it depends on the situation I'm in.

If I suddenly remember something that triggers an attack or if I'm being watched; then yeah-- panic attacks happen all the time to be, even during/after exercise.
  17. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever had one.
  18. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I get them every day whenever I go to school, which is the reason why I haven't went there all week. Too many people :\
  19. MightyMatt

MightyMatt Well-Known Member

I usually have panic attacks while I'm driving to work... i had a terrible accident last year while commuting... I have to drive past where it happened everyday I suppose that doesn't help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.