Panicked Mom

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by boxlady, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxlady

boxlady New Member

Please help. I am 46yr old mom from TX. My 22 yr old son just called me from NC where he lives. He has been drinking and seems suicidal. He talked for over an hour about how worthless he is and how he hates himself. He said it would be so easy to just end it and the only reason he hasn't is because of his younger sisters (ages 11 and 13). What should I do? I listened and told him how much we all love him. What else do I do?

2. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Whats the reason he is depressed and suicidal?

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

does he have a doctor where he lives? If he has, and you know who it is, you may be able to call him/her and tell them of the problems your son is having. short of that, just keep telling him how much you love him and beg him to seek help with a professional. counseling and meds could really help him. Good luck to you.:hug:

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=22427

Sounds like he is suffering from depression. It's a serious condition, but it can be treated. Problem is, your thinking patterns get all screwed up and you really, truly believe that you'd be better off dead. On top his despair, he prob. feels very ashamed for his fragile state of mind, I felt both ashamed for being so weak and also ashamed that i found it so hard to go through with my plans.

What can you do? Keep listening, tell him you care, and then work on getting some supports in place ASAP. These will be different for everyone. You are far away, so even if you do fly up to see him, is there a trusted family friend nearby? Have them go over straight away and stay with him. His options are to go to a medical doctor in the morning (they can assess his frame of mind and refer him for a psych assessment), or if he's still in a desperate frame of mind they can go straight to the emergency room for an assessment. The docs can take it from there.

Either way, he should not be alone right now. These feelings come and go in waves. He might say he's feeling better, but believe me, if the thoughts are there and not treated they will come back.

Catherine

5. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I hope he will be better. But if he say he is feeling better, it doesnt mean that he is cured, he is OK, and he is not suicidal. The most important is to find the reason. To find his problem. If you can solve it, everything is gonna be OK. But, from personal experince i know that there are some problems that can not be solved :( The only thing I can say at the moment is: I wish you luck, I know youll both need it, you and your son.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi boxlady. You have to find out what is at the heart of his depression and suicidal feelings. Be sure to tell him that he is loved and that he matters, so that he doesn't feel worthless. I hope that you can get through to him.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Continue to support him and get him help from a professional. You could give him the numbers to a crisis line so he can talk with someone there if he wants to be more anonymous and would feel better about sharing with someone he doesn't know. Some people are afraid of hurting the ones they love so they don't want to tell them what drives the thoughts or issues they are facing. Be honest with him. Share your concerns about him. Depression has a way of skewing thoughts. He needs to hear his importance and even be shown it if possible. I wish you luck. :hug:

8. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It is critical to maintain an open channel with your son...why is he like this now? how long has he been feeling this way? and most importantly, how can you get him professional support? Please feel free to PM me if I can help in any way...big hugs, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.