Panicking

I'm really worried and super panicky. I just recieved a letter this morning.
I was in therapy but due to my risk to self he referred me to another service (secondary care)
The letter I got said I will be having an assessment with a mental health officer. I didn't know what this was so I googled it,
A mental health officer is the person who decides if I will be treated against my will, sectioned or anything else related to me losing my choices. They can apply for warrants etc.
Im really panicking now, I thought it was just going to be an assessment for a diagnosis or something, Not an assessment for capacity or to see if I can be detained.
Has anyone got any experience of dealing with mental health officers? I don't know what to expect, I'm scared

SamIAm

I'm really worried and super panicky. I just recieved a letter this morning.
I was in therapy but due to my risk to self he referred me to another service (secondary care)
The letter I got said I will be having an assessment with a mental health officer. I didn't know what this was so I googled it,
A mental health officer is the person who decides if I will be treated against my will, sectioned or anything else related to me losing my choices. They can apply for warrants etc.
Im really panicking now, I thought it was just going to be an assessment for a diagnosis or something, Not an assessment for capacity or to see if I can be detained.
Has anyone got any experience of dealing with mental health officers? I don't know what to expect, I'm scared
I’m in therapy now and have to answer a text every day that the office sends out to see if everyone is doing good outside of the office appointments. They are doing this because at my first appointment I said something like I wanted to end it all. If I didn’t answer the text the therapist let me know that she would be sending a police officer to the house for a welfare/safety check. If the police thought I was a danger to myself apparently they could force me into the hospital for a 3 day hold and if they got a court order, it could be longer. I’m not messing around. I answer the texts outside of the appointments. These people don’t mess around either. I’m hoping things go well for you. Good luck with everything, take care of yourself and I’ll be thinking of you.

I was referred elsewhere because at the time I was suicidal, and had started to act on it. I did attend a&e at the time. I'm not suicidal now but i do self harm. These level of self harm also intensified at the time and I was honest with my therapist. Which now I wish I wasn't. I really csnt be sent to hospital, I can't. Its guna throw up to much shit and I won't be able to deal with it.

SamIAm

I was referred elsewhere because at the time I was suicidal, and had started to act on it. I did attend a&e at the time. I'm not suicidal now but i do self harm. These level of self harm also intensified at the time and I was honest with my therapist. Which now I wish I wasn't. I really csnt be sent to hospital, I can't. Its guna throw up to much shit and I won't be able to deal with it.
It sounds like they are very worried about you especially if you are self harming now. So I can see things from their perspective. And maybe if you need more help now than what you were receiving, this would be the way to do it. If they want to send you to the hospital and you don’t feel it’s necessary can you fight it somehow by consulting with an attorney who specializes in these things? I hope you just do what’s best for you in the long run. That’s what matters. Let me know how things go for you.

I was self harming before hand. Ive never hidden this, I've always been honest. Now I know I have to go to this appointment. I havnt got a choice. So my next dilemma: if im honest I wil be sectioned and if I lie I will be sectioned because then it looks like in refusing help. I don't know what to do. I can't really think straight at the minute.

SamIAm

I was self harming before hand. Ive never hidden this, I've always been honest. Now I know I have to go to this appointment. I havnt got a choice. So my next dilemma: if im honest I wil be sectioned and if I lie I will be sectioned because then it looks like in refusing help. I don't know what to do. I can't really think straight at the minute.
Can you take someone you trust with you to the appointment for support?

SamIAm

No, the only person that knows me on that level is half way around the world from me. There isn't anyone else I trust or understands like that
So even if you have no one to take with you to the appointment, there is a patient advocate right? Someone who is there in theory to protect your rights as a patient? Is it possible for you to learn all your rights before you go to the appointment?

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
Hi Flower. I am sorry you're going through this. You have been struggling for too long. I understand why you are scared, but I think for your own sake you should be honest with this person. It MAY be in your best interests to spend a while in hospital. Hospital can be a good thing. Have you been hospitalized before?? Please keep us updated. I and others here do CARE for you, and, want what's best for you. TC, Brett. *hug

Hi Brett, I know ive struggled for a little while now. I can understand being hospitalized when I'm suicidal, hell, I've even asked to be during a 'crisis'. I just don't see how being in hospital now can help me At all. If I was Still suicidal then yeah, but im not. Plus.... if I end up in hospital, people are guna ask questions that I won't be able to answer and I can't have that, I really cant.

Ive stated in tbe past that I didn't think I could keep myself safe and was just sent home. Yet now its on the cards.
I really csnt be hospitalized, I can't stress that enough but its really difficult to explain so that you could understand why

If I fail to attend this appointment, I'm worried they will do a check on me and decide that I need to be in hospital. But I don't want to go to this appointment because I came go to hospital.
Its like catch 22. I feel stuck and confused

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
Flower, it is unlikely you will be sectioned. There is always a shortage of beds. Let me put it this way... a few sessions ago i told my psychiatrist i was having homicidal and suicidal urges. NOTHING happened. I really doubt you will be forced to do anything you don't want. We all want what is best for you, INCLUDING this person your going to meet. I feel so sad for you. I hope you can get through this.

I know it's really difficult to understand I do, if they hospitalize me and people (my family) find out, im not going to get through it, i know im not. I cant answer questions about this, I cant

Flower, it is unlikely you will be sectioned. There is always a shortage of beds. Let me put it this way... a few sessions ago i told my psychiatrist i was having homicidal and suicidal urges. NOTHING happened. I really doubt you will be forced to do anything you don't want. We all want what is best for you, INCLUDING this person your going to meet. I feel so sad for you. I hope you can get through this.
I really really hope so! More than I can say. Dont feel sad for me please. I don't want that for you

I will try. I will. I Cant promise I'm guna be very stable between now and then though :/ I don't tend to be very rational when I'm scared

Thank you though Brett, hugs back

Ive just emailed my therapist hoping he will explain what the actual referral was for. I know I probably shouldn't of done since im not in his care anymore but I didn't know who else to ask. I just need some guidance and understanding with this because I'm still panicking.

Thank you

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00