Paracetamol

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Jonathan, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

Well.

I've been taking over 4000mg of paracetamol per day for about a month now (Not the same amount everyday, but around that much per day), however I've had nothing happen to me. I'd be hoping that I would die in my sleep or something; but nothing.

I read that on the warning you shouldn't eat more than a certain amount of pills and I've clearly overdosed as I've taken around 8 pills (500mg each)...

The only thing that is happening to me is that I'm falling a sleep more often than usual or I'm feeling tired. - also I have noticed that stomach hurts a lot more... well it kinda aches but it's bearable.

I'm quite unsure as to why I've taken these pills for the last month, however it is mostly to do with my headache (With everything going on in my life) added onto the fact that I do have suicidal feelings. E.g. I somewhat feel that I want to die along with the fact I have a headache, so I need to take paracetamol. However I'm deliberately overdosing hoping things will end without myself knowing. But nothing has happened.

Also the thing is I've taken these 8 pills spread out throughout the day, not just in one go. Could that be the problem?

Not sure what to do... I'm 17 and I don't have anywhere to seek advice apart from this forum and I'm also not sure why I'm posting this now... as I could have posted this when I got back to this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The problem with this medication is not one you will notice right away from overdosing. It affects your liver function. I would suggest you go to a doctor and have blood tests run to check your liver function. Destruction of your liver is a very painful way to die. Please discontinue use and do get checked out.

3. Jonathan

Yet another stupid thing I've done. :nerves: I don't think I can go to the doctors... he might tell my dad?

4. evilperson

evilperson Well-Known Member

Dude don't kill yourself with paracetamol. What do you like suffering or something? It f*cks your liver. Really. It does.

Just, please, don't die. Go see a doctor. It does weird stuff to your mind, what you are doing on paracetamol. PLEASE go see a doctor. Man, if I could take your hand and take you there I would. If there's one way you don't want to die that's by paracetamol overdose. That stuff is nasty (I've tried).

5. Jonathan

Well maybe it won't affect me that badly as I did take it throughout the day and not all in one go? Maybe that will help me right?

Also it's not my where liver is, that is hurting me! It is further down near my belly button, maybe it's something or else or the other?

I'm too scared to go... 1. he might tell my dad... 2. he might put me on some sort of suicide watch...

Also what do they do when you go to the doctors? I know of a hospital (A big one) in my area, they won't open me up right or put a tube down my throat?

6. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Well they would probably run some blood work, if you took a large amount recently they may give u some Charcoal to absorb it. If the blood work comes back, they may give u some acetylcysteine, which acts like an antidote (acts as a precursor for glutathione helping the body regenerate enough to prevent damage to the liver,) Also it can affect your stomach linning, and cause bleeding of ur stomach. If you start turning yellow(which is a sign of jaundice) then you need to get to an hospital asap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol_toxicity

Its probably def best to go to the hospital asap, not sure where you live, but in some states u can recieve medical help in an emergency without ur parents consent.

7. evilperson

GET TO THE HOSPITAL ASAP. Man or you are going have a majorly painful death. Bleeding stomach, liver failure, and your mental situation goes downhill real bad. GET TO THE HOSPITAL. Honestly, it's better they put you on suicide watch, you may even get someone holding your hand and caring. Really, GO. Paracetamol is VERY dangerous stuff. You've chosen one of the most painful and prolonged deaths there is.

8. Soda

Soda Account Closed

yes. either go to the hospital ro do what i suggested. QUICK

every word that evilperson said is true. its prolonged and VERY painful.

do something quick!

9. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Just forget your worries about them telling your dad. I'm sure he would want you to go too. Its best to just go immediatley to the hospital or doctor.

10. Scars and Memories

Scars and Memories Account Closed

Hey I'm 17 too and I once took around 25 paracetamol (12500mg) and nothing happened except for some bad stomach ache. The only thing you're doing right now is damaging your liver, 8 paracetamol aren't gonna kill you but if you take it every day it will damage you. You need a hell of a lot paracetamol to kill yourself and even IF you die, there will be a few days of excruciating pain first and it will be so bad you will go crazy from the pain. You will throw yourself around the room and knock yourself out. Then if someone finds you you will go to the hospital where they will get your stomach pumped. And then your problems have only started.
    Stop doing this, you're going to cause irreversible damage to your liver and this is not the way to die.:sorry:

11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Well everyone else has told you to get help asap so the only thing I have to add is your headaches are more than likely from it also.. You get what is called rebound from taking too much..Been there done that with pain killers.. Get some help before it's too late...

12. Beautiful_Disaster_09

Beautiful_Disaster_09 Well-Known Member

I suggest you go and see a doctor and talk to them about your headaches. You should tell them that they are so bad you are taking paracetamol a lot and that you are worried that you have damanged your body. They will probably speak to you about how many you take etc etc. Also you should mention about your suicidal feelings and see what they say.

I am also 17 and I too had periods where I would take paracetamol a lot. You need to get help. Where I come from it is illegal for doctors to contact parents about your medical background etc due to patient confidentiality. Maybe it is worth getting checked out. Doctors will do all within their power to help you and that includes helping you find ways of making life bearable.

13. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Paracetamol-OD is slow death untreated. It damages your liver badly. BADLY. Please don´t OD more- because if you do, you'll need to get a liver transplantation... That's not nice. You'll have to be on medication för the rest of your life if you get a new liver.
    Seek medical advice now :hug:

14. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am wondering how you are Jonathan and if you have decided what you will do yet?

15. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I will post here how paracetamol overdosing goes, but im not going to write about the fatal dose. I just want you to know how painfull and ugly death it would be, and its one of ODs you should never try.

Dosage: --------------------
    Time: 10 hours fatal damage, but 2 weeks to actually die
    Available: easy to get hold of
    Certainty: fairly reliable
    Notes: Once 10-12 hours is up, you've had it, but you still live for
    a week or two after that. Probably better to wait 15 hours just to
    make sure. Horrible side effects during this time (some of which are:
    acute toxic hepatitis, renal failure, cerebral oedema, intra-abdominal
    bleeding, aspiration pneumonia, haemophilia). Too small dose causes
    severe liver damage. Accidental deaths are very common. There are few
    if any side effects before the damage becomes fatal; occasionally
    vomitting and nausea.

The dose you've took is too small to kill you, but enough to cause liver damage. Better go to the doctor, or your life might become even worse. And if you are planing to kill yourself with paracetamol, read what i wrote (actually copied) and think if you want that to hapen to you.

16. Jonathan

I don't know. The obvious is in front of me, but the implications are more than anything my worries. I think I'll be fine and if I'm not, then so be it, I'll suffer the consequences.

I'm sorry all, but thanks for your posts.

17. MysticalMonkey

MysticalMonkey New Member

I'd like to share a part of my life with you, if that's alright.

I was 18 years old the first time I even shared my thoughts and feelings with one of my parents. I had tried to kill myself a few weeks back and I told my mother about it. Sitting there watching her cry made me cry too, because watching her worry about me made me sad.

I kept talking to my mother about how I was feeling, and since we tried it my way and my suicidal feelings wouldn't go away by themselves, I tried her advice and she helped me book a meeting with a doctor. It was a regular meeting, and nobody but me and the doc knew why I was there. He treated me like a normal patient, taking blood samples to see if I had any disiese etc. I felt good when I came out of that room, because instead of trying to take the easy way out again and end it by myself, I listened to the people who cared about me and went to get help.

Sorry for the long story, but my point is;
    Seeing a doctor is nothing dangerous, and if you are afraid I suggest taking someone with you (could use a white lie to tell that person why you are there and have them wait in the waiting room), and you should feel no shame in telling your dad about how you feel. You will probably make him sad and worried about you, but he will probably do everything he can to make you feel better.

I have eaten Cipralex for about 3 months now, and I already feel A LOT better.

So go see the doctor about the medication you ate to much off, and tell him why. Ask him not to tell your dad, because you would prefer to tell him yourself. It is your choice, but telling my mother how I was feeling and going to the doctor was probably the best thing I have ever done in my entire life!

If you ever want to talk, you are more than welcome to PM (could even trade MSN over PMs if you would want to ^_^)

hugs*
    Axel

18. Jonathan

Alright I had a hard thought over this and I think it would be best to go to the hospital today after college. I'm getting abdominal pains or just on my chest and I'm also getting bad coughs along with bad colds and I read an article online suggesting this is a symptom of overdosing.

I'm worried at the moment, so I'll have to go as I think in some way, I have damaged my liver.

Forgive me for my ignorance, I was just a little scared or horrified would be a more realistic word.

19. evilperson

Oh Jonathan. I hope you go. I'm getting so worried.

20. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Well hope everything is ok, and yea going to the hospitial is scary I understand that, but better to be safe than sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.