Paranoid or just fearful?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Crashtesthero, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crashtesthero

Crashtesthero Member

Until recently I never really considered myself to be paranoid, but while discussing a possibility of having early signs of Schizophrenia I'm not so sure. I used to just think it was a silly fear that I had from watching too many movies...

I have a terrible fear of someone coming into the bathroom while I am showering, or even opening my eyes from washing hair or something and seeing a face in front of me. I always open the curtain and check the room several times while showering and even leave the curtain open sometimes because I'm so afraid. I refuse to shower when I am home alone.

I also will not look out uncovered windows at night because I am so sure I am going to see someone looking into the window from outside. I fear taking my dog out to the bathroom at night because I feel like someone is watching me...

I also always feel like I need to be intune to what is going on in my surroundings. I will never put both headphones on my ears because I fear someone is going to sneak up behind me and hurt me. If I do hear a noise I always assume the worst and become on edge for the rest of the time I am alone. I can feel when someone enters a room, my hair on the back of my neck stands up.

I can hear things in my surroundings that others cannot hear (for example, I heard music and my husband could not hear it).

What is the difference between paranoia and just being afraid? I've always been a jumpy person, always listened for anybody behind me and afraid someone is coming to hurt me. Is this just fear? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You certainly are hypervigilant anxious i think talking to your doctor would help hun Your doctor can tell you what is wrong and get you some therapy for your anxiety Fear can cause one to hear things imagine things that are not there. The best thing to do hun is to go get a professional and talk to them and see what can be done for you ok hugs
  3. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

I can only give you my own personal experience as reassurance; obviously we are all individuals who have different circumstances, genetics, and life histories. I come from a family with a history of mental illness in both parents - whether it is genetic or environmental, I have been dealing with depression for about a decade. Something that took me a LONG time to notice was that I also lived with the kind of fear you are describing; when you are already not 'normal' it can be difficult to see this objectively. I can tell you that it doesn't have to progress any further than what you are describing, and there is a possibility that it will get no worse even without intervention.

That said, Total Eclipse is right in suggesting that you speak with a professional. Describe to them what you told us here, and they will help you look into it further. Please don't let the feelings fester without seeking help, because they can lead you to make some unwise choices.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.