Parent of suicidal teen

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Cooper, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper New Member

I am looking for any and all advice on how to help my son. He is 17. He was bullied, he is bi sexual, biracial, just broke up with his boyfriend on Monday, has no friends, is sad, angry lonely all the time. He talks about suicide as the only answer. Saying he is tired of trying and getting hurt.

What can I do?

I have taken him to the family doctor. He refuses depression meds as they make him nauseous. I was thinking about maybe an anti anxiety med we are going back today to talk to him. He has had bad luck with counselors. He is currently seeing a life coach once a week.

I don't know how to help him.
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi Cooper - I will PM you some details of a person who would be able to help you honey.
  3. ksmith86

ksmith86 Well-Known Member

Some advice:

Talk to him about how he feels.

Since I've been feeling this way, I've noticed that the people who I most want to talk about my feelings of suicide (my parents, friends, girlfriend, sister, etc) are also the least receptive to it. Their response is always: "Don't do it! Get on medication! Don't talk like that! Everything's going to be ok!"

Really all I want from them is to listen to me, put themselves in my shoes and understand how I feel. I need empathy from them, but they seem unable to provide it.

People who don't think about suicide really have no idea how it feels, it's difficult for them to relate. So just... relate to him!

Expect a lot of depressing "nobody likes me" crap.
    Expect him to object to your attempts to cheer him up. "Honey you're only 17, your life has just begun. Wait until you get out of highschool, you'll see!" "But I'll still have no friends when I get out of highschool. Nobody likes me. I just don't want to do it anymore"

It doesn't mean he isn't appreciative. Those objections are just his way of giving you more information about why he's hurting. Just roll with it, offer advice, try to give him hope, share his pain and most importantly make sure he knows you completely understand his feelings. Make him feel like you are both in it together.

Atleast this is what I'd want from a loved one if I ever talked to them about my feelings. It seems to help being understood. Although he is 17, I know they can get pretty combative when they're upset ;)

Hope this helps, good luck!
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Listen yes observe watch him carefully hun If he is threatening to kill himself then he is a danger to himself and if you have to you take him to hospital where they will help him with therapy with medication with councelling. At that age everything seems 10 fold the pain the sadness You keep letting him know you will always be on his side and you will do what it takes to help him feel less sad. You will be there beside him and that he is not alone in this fight to get out of the sadness He has to cooperative with his doctors ask him to please try
  5. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Please show him this website. I believe it has videos he may find helpful. There are others who have been through the same sort of videos.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.