Parent Rarity....

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jjjoooggg2, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

Other than someone in this forum, I've never met anyone with parents that demand their child stay home beyond 20. I am 40 now. And I considering moving out against my father's wish. My main concern is the house is a mess. And the risk level for my parents. They run restaurants and see cash flow. So I don't feel comfortable with my parents alone for fear of robbery.

2. jjjoooggg2

I told my friend that I'm thinking about moving to Austin. He has no info about my situation. He said that I was "full of shit" because my father depends on me to run the business and I have a rare opportunity. That is so narrowminded. I have a college degree. Why did he decide not to work for his father and goto engineering. He's being hypocritical. This is why I don't join clubs anymore. Everyone's pointing fingers and making rumors.

3. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

You have every right to move out.

With that said, make sure your family is taken care of. What do you mean by risk level? Are they elderly?

4. jjjoooggg2

My father is 78 but can walk around well. He really should retire but he can't make up his mind. My mother is 69. I'm mostly concerned about robbery because the restaurant handles cash flow.

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Why not stay working in the restaurant but move into your own apartment closeby?

Is the restaurant - or is that restaurant(s) - making good money? Because you could hire a security guard like they have in a lot of the retail stores and as for the house being a mess? Well... that is something your parents are unfortunately going to have to deal with. Your mother is 69, she has had 69 years to learn how to clean, surely she knows how to do it by now? If it's that bad you could hire a weekly cleaner to come in also?

6. jjjoooggg2

I don't like working under my father or the restaurant in general. I want to move to Austin Texas. I want to use my degree to ultimately teach physics. But I'm willing to do what I need to stay in Austin. I don't think trusting a security guard is a good thing. Security guards are probably not the honest people. Maybe, a body guard. But I don't think my father could afford or agree with that.

I think my friend is being selfish by not realizing my situation. I told him my father is very insistant that I eat everyday with him. He acts like Hitler sometimes. He's never seen him. But he's siding with my father. I don't see him living with his father and working for him. Even my bookkeeper has done a 180. She sees my side after a few months. She told me my father is more strict than her Marine sniper father. My father even made her cry. She told me that she still can't figure my father out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  7. shazwackers

shazwackers Well-Known Member

both my brother and my sister stayed at home until they were 40 because our mum was so controlling. My sister finally plucked up the courage to leave when she was 41 and it was the making of her. The first few months were difficult with mum saying she had deserted and shunning her, but once she came to terms with that things were great.

My brother never found the same courage and sadly he stayed with her until she died and he knows now that he has no life and feels too old to begin one. He's 57 now so dont hold back - go for it now!

8. jjjoooggg2

How old was your mother when she left?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.