Parents found out

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by abandof, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abandof

abandof Well-Known Member

Well my parents found out I SH a few weeks ago ... i was sort of expecting them to have a go at me and try and send me to a hospital or something, turns out they mentioned it once and I haven't heard about it since.
    Shows how much they really care I suppose, just thinking about how they reacted makes me want to cut even more but oh well.
  2. Hazibell

Hazibell Well-Known Member

hey the only reason they probs havent mentioned it is because they dont want to upset you! tis a pretty awkward subject too. i kno when mine found out they didnt really mention it that much :hug: hang in there
  3. CyanideMuffin

CyanideMuffin Member

what else did they say about you selfharming?

well, im sure they do care , or else they wouldnt have mentioned the hospital but maybe they're just waiting for you to forget it or something. maybe they dont know much about this so they may think that this idea is gonna go away soon

if you need someone to talk to, just dont doubt in Pm me anytime
  4. riz

riz Senior Member

I'm sure that your parents are worrying more about you than you think. I know that when I found out about friends that were SH, I tried not to give them too much attention about it right away so that I didn't overwhelm them.

Most people don't even know how to approach SH. If you want them to do anything different for you, then you need to let them in on how to help you. This is all an awkward process for everyone involved, so please don't feel the need to cut more to make up for things. Take things slow.

Please stay safe and take care of yourself.

With love, :lips:
  5. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I don't know your parents but my mother did the same. she rushed up the stairs, we talked and it wasn't brought up since. I know she cares, just doesn't want to trigger me or upset me. sometimes you have to make the first move.
  6. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Its upsetting to a parent to know that their child is harming themself. Sometimes they dont know how to react, and so they dont do anything because they are scared that they'll make it worse. Mine were like that.. and then they overreacted. But still... maybe your parents do care, but they just dont know how to put it.

7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

They probably care, they just probably don't know what to say..That's how my parents were..Well, my dad anyway. My mom kind of made me talk to her for like three hours, and she continues to ask every week if I've stopped yet...Maybe it's better for you that they don't bring it up. Just don't think they don't care. :hug: Take care.
  8. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

i did it once and my parents found out from my school counsellor. they don't know how to approach me either. but i did get 5 days of therapy to keep me okay so i'm also doing much better than i was. i just need to constantly challenge negative thought patterns and make myself feel worthwhile.

so yeah... you parents probably do care a lot from what i'm reading... it is just a really difficult subject. in some ways more difficult than suicidal feelings and thoughts.
  9. sheslostcontrol

sheslostcontrol New Member

When my mother found out, she called me "stupid". I know she still cares, she just doesn't know how to deal with it. I'm sure your parents care, too, and they're probably scared as well. Most people never fully understand it, so their reactions are not what we expected in the first place, but it doesn't mean they don't care.. *hugs*
  10. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

don't worry love, when my mother first saw she said something about it then and i didn't hear anything else. Then she saw some bad scars not too long ago and brings it up because i'm using stuff to get rid of them - having your parents go on about it is NOT fun :hug:
    take care,
    she does care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.