parents just don't understand

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by almag07, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almag07

almag07 New Member

I'm 17 years old and I cut nothing deep but it's getting there, for now the burning sensation fills me. I try to tell my parents that I think I'm depressed but they don't believe in that. they laugh at me. I've tried to commit suicide countless times before, why I'm still alive? I'm not sure. I put on a happy face at school so people don't realize. I'm a master at putting on a happy face, smiling at my darkest moments. I just got done cutting about 10 minutes ago because of a fight. I don't really have friends that I can talk to about this. I just feel like I'm done, it's pointless. Thanks for reading.
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

can you talk to the guidance counselor or a teacher? I'm sorry your parents laughed at you...that's probably a stress laugh because they might take it personal if you're depressed, meaning what did they do wrong when in reality it has nothing to do with what they did....maybe write them a letter? and let them know that you cut etc....maybe that could break the ice and they would finally believe you?

at least you can talk here :) hopefully that helps so keep talking...
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

self harm is a very hard topic to talk to family/ friends about.

my family never quite got it either- but then when we're talking my family, they don't get most things.

good luck though with trying to explain things to them
  4. Pertokeyo

Pertokeyo Banned Member

It's difficult for a lot of individuals to understand what depression is without prior experience or a really evolved mind, but laughing at you is just insulting, don't ever think that's acceptable.

Well done for putting on a happy face at school. Smiles are contagious and you may have made others happy just by smiling. Look around and see who is smiling too and talk to him/her. You don't deserve loneliness so make those gentle efforts to find those friends who are just waiting for your introductions. Yes some will reject, but they are lower than you, so just keep making those smiles until you find one who is wonderful and awesome like you, then you can smile for real.
  5. Degenerate Escapist

Degenerate Escapist Well-Known Member

You sound like you really need someone to talk to. Have you tried talking to your school counselor? They are there for these kinds of things and can be very helpful.
    If you want to talk to your parent's, who don't seem to understand or know how to deal with it, I would suggest writing a note about your feelings, letting them know how badly you feel and that you need someone to talk to, whether it be them, or a professional.

If you are in need of some friends, Pertokeyo has good advice. I wish I would have been able to talk to more people in highschool. You may run into a few bad people, but just having one person you can talk to makes all the difference.

Hang in there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.