Parents trying to sabotage me

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Mordeci, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

So I had a really rough few days emotinally, it got so bad I ended up calling a suicide hotline, which actually turned out to be a good thing, we went over my options and I decieded to look into a psychology program, not go into, just look at, when I told my parents they began yelling at me saying "finish what you started", "get your degree first so you can pratice law", "what's wrong with you" for twenty minuets I heard this. The truth is I was really exicted just to be looking and I really hate law school, they made some good points but the way they said it was uncalled for. My worst fears about telling them about a possible carrer change were realized and now I am stuck again with no friends, down a carrer path I hate, with no support and no way out.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I know this is really hard, but you have to do what feels right for you. If you don't want to go to law school and you'd rather check out the psychology program, that's what you should do. Parents can be horrible when it comes to stuff like that, because they don't get the fact that it's not their life, it's yours. You're the one who should be making the decisions, not them.

3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I also have this recurring interest in Psychology. I would recommend doing it, before you reach the point where all you can think about is how much you hate your current situation. I'm very sorry to hear that your parents are behaving like assholes. For what it's worth, they're way out of line.

4. kote

kote Account Closed

ok looking at it from my perspective and an insight into the mistakes i made in life:

i did a degree in archaeology which got me zero jobs in my own country

then i got a job teaching english in japan which i loved

so i did a masters in TEFL which i also loved

then i had a nervous breakdown and cant stand being near education of any sort - wish i could go back to archaeology. research was my favourite aspect.

oh now im stuck in a country with a wife and family with no real skills apart from education - sucks to be me. lol

so who knows what the future holds for you and what paths you may take.

if i were you id follow my heart even if it was a mistake i know i at least tried and id have no regrets about not trying. but if you could keep your head down for a few years you may have something more useful under your belt and while your doing law you can look into pyscology a lot more as a hobby looking at taking a full time course in the future. that way no bridges are burnt.

take care and keep up the good work - i know it must be so hard to hit the books when you hate them so much!!! i wish you the best!!!

5. assek

assek Well-Known Member

i can imagine how hard this is for you, but i would say do what YOU want to do. this is YOUR life, and your parents need to realise that you cannot make their dreams come true because they are not your dreams !

i made the same mistake, listened to my mother because it was easier than arguing, but now i regret it deeply. if i could turn back the time i would put my foot down and say, this is MY life, and i will do what I want to do.

6. Duke

Duke Member

My mom was in the same situation as you. She was on her 3rd year of college for a degree in education, but she realized she wanted to go into counseling. She was afraid to switch because she was already almost done getting her original degree, and her parents were strongly against it (the same "finish what you started" act). My mom ended up graduating with a degree in education.

27 years later, she's back at school getting that psychology degree so she can go be a counselor, like she's always wanted.

Make the switch :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.